Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Epson v700 or v750

Re: Epson v700 or v750

Chuck,

Thank you. Was not aware Epson no longer sells the V750 although used ones do come up for sale on this site and others occassionally. Agree with your comments on the BSH. On my V700, noticable provements in "apparent visual sharpness" as observed on my monitor with a finely scratched negative, came about in two steps.
    1. Getting a BSH (my optimum height 3.75 mm, higher than the Epson max of 3.5 mm), then later,
    2. Moving to Wet Scanning. Seems to also improve micro-contrast.
    I acknowledge that these conclusions have not been verified in print tests.

Just looked at the Better Scanning dry mounting system - you have to tape the film to the glass. I am usually pretty nervous about getting crap on my negatives. They recommend 3M magic tape, but even that will leave some residue. How do you clean the filter afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The V750 has two lenses, one for the high-definition scanning mode. The V700 has only one lens.

That's one of the major differences between the two products. Says so right on the Epson website.

- Leigh
    Thats why i picked the v750.... i get great scans at 12800 although large file size.... most of the time 6400

The v750 has coated optics also.... supposedly sharper at hi rez scans... B&H still shows the V750 in stock... just checked

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Just looked at the Better Scanning dry mounting system - you have to tape the film to the glass. I am usually pretty nervous about getting crap on my negatives. They recommend 3M magic tape, but even that will leave some residue. How do you clean the filter afterwards?
    Taping is not a big deal. You just put a little of the tape on the edge of the film, outside the image area. If you wet mount, depending on the fluid you use, you might just tape the outer mylar, not the negative itself.

In either case, my experience is that when you pull off the tape (I use some random Chinese clear tape, sorta like 3M magic tape) it comes off cleanly. Sometimes a tiny bit of glue stays behind, but it just rubs right off. In the worst case, there's always Edwal.

Dry mounting with tape is slower than using a holder, but it is far more precise in terms of control of flatness. While it might be slightly slower than using a holder, it isn't by much once you get the hang of it. I will say that the 4x5 OEM holders are the best holders of the OEM set. If not for the height issues, I'd be pretty happy with them because they are quick. But the smaller format holders are a royal pain. It is not easy at all to get a film with any curl to lay down well in those holders. It is much, much easier to just tape them down on flat newton glass.

With wet mounting, depending on the fluid system you use, you might not tape the negative at all. You might instead just tape the mylar. I think you probably need to tape with Kami, because the chemical dries so fast at the edges. But there are a couple of other fluids that probably will work better in this regard (I've not yet tried them). Check out Prazio fluid, it sounds interesting. Also, check this link for a discussion of alternatives to commercial fluids: http://www.photo-i.co.uk/BB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1873 .

Since I'm in China, I'm trying plain old lighter fluid and some generic mineral spirits. My biggest problem is getting solvent resistant tape (regular tapes get gummy when they touch these petroleum distillates. Also, I'm having a difficult time getting quality mylar or cellophane for the outside of the wet mount "sandwich". Thus, I'm mostly dry mounting with infrequent wet mount experiments when I have time.

One more thing: I do use the OEM 4x5 holders for "proof" scans. Lots of times I finish developing a sheet and I just want to do a quick scan to play with how I'll conduct post on it later. For that, a quick scan with the OEM holder is fine, I don't worry about the lesser sharpness, because at that point I'm making larger decisions about how I'll manipulate the image.

When I understand whether I like the shot and how I'll finish it, then I'll commit to a high quality scan with my best effort at cleaning, dusting, and mounting.

I've even done this step by photographing the negative on my light table using a Nikon D200, with its kit 18-200 lens fully zoomed. For proofing, whatever is quick is all I need.

Leigh & photobymike,

Read my and chuck's posts. I can't believe this continuous posting of erroneous information.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Evans View Post
    Leigh & photobymike,

Read my and chuck's posts. I can't believe this continuous posting of erroneous information.
    Q:
    What are the hardware differences between the Perfection V700 Photo and the Perfection V750 Pro scanners?
    A:
    The Perfection V750 Pro features an enhanced optical system (High Pass Optics). By using anti-reflective coatings on the CCD lens and a high reflection mirror (extra coating), the Perfection V750 Pro delivers better image quality and scans faster. The Perfection V750 Pro also offers a fluid mount accessory that allows photographers to perform wet scans on a flatbed scanner, which is especially valuable for enhanced scratch removal and grain reduction from black-and-white film.

The link below is Epson support website

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...9&subcat=30992

ok the truth strait from the manufacture.... i have had both and i can say with proof there is a difference in the scans they make..... well worth the extra shekels for the v750. It scans faster and at higher resolution ...the quality is noticeably improved on the higher resolution scans. Have several TBs of scanned film and scan almost every night... scanning now as i type ... i have 80 images i have to get done tonight and get them burned onto datadvd for customers...... I been on the phone several times with Epson for customer support, discussing the differences between both scanners.... The lenses are different..... they are coated and the v750 was built on a different factory... according to the Epson guy i talked to..... there are actually many differences between the two scanners including electronics.... been using Epson scanners since 2004 or 5 .... I have had a total of 6 of them.... sold one here on LF....

The way to really make your V750 scan well is
    1. clean glass front and back when you get new.
    2. evenly torque glass back on the scanner... about 15 inch pounds evenly on all four sides....
    3. dont move your scanner after you tighten glass on....
    4. Betterscanniing.com!!!
    5. dont let your cat sleep on the lid (cat hair allover)

I had a Nikon 8000 and a Konica Minolta scanner ... i like my Epson better ... never used the wet option....

I did a full set of tests today trying wet and dry mounting using the betterscanning holder. I also compared to the OEM holder. I do not have high quality wet mounting supplies in China, so I'm testing using the closest equivalent to Kami that exists here: lighter fluid. According to the MSDS for Kami, it appears to be a well cleaned lighter fluid. I'm using Zippo, the only stuff I can find here. It evaporates as fast as Kami, and left the slide very clean. So except for the fact that static could set my whole office on fire, it's not bad.

More importantly, I don't have the best quality mylar to cover the wet mount. I will need to keep searching here in Beijing. It is bound to exist somewhere.

With those constraints, I found that the difference between wet and dry mounting is very subtle. For all practical purposes, I think dry mounting on the betterscanner mounting station is good enough. I do think there are very small improvements with wet mounting, but they are very hard to see.

The difference between the OEM holder and the betterscanning holder is much more apparent.

I was going to upload the scan results, but for some reason the image uploader doesn't work. I'll post them somewhere and provide a link in a follow up note next time I am online.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Ed, I just got some Magic Tape here (some stuff is hard to find in China). Magic Tape leaves nothing on the negative. It came off very clean, no residue at all.