Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Epson v700 or v750

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Epson v700 or v750

I currently have a Microtek i900. I like the no glass feature. However, I'm having problems with it now with streaks going down my scans. I've tried cleaning and even contacted the company. I would be looking at $175-300 in repairs is what I was told. I'm betting on $300 and with the age and use of the unit I could very well have more problems down the road.

So, I've been thinking about just buying a new scanner. I've read many of the threads discussing the 700 and 750. I keep going back and forth after reading the posts.

I don't plan on doing wet mounting as I read it could be kind of messy if you don't know what you are doing.

I currently use the Silverfast AI 6 that came with the Microtek. I don't do any sharpening or color correcting with Silverfast. I only use it to set my white and black points. Everything else is done in Photoshop.

I mainly scan 2.25 x 2.75, 4x5, and 8x10s. Very seldom 35 mm.

With that said it seems the v700 is what I need. Am I missing anything? Want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Re: Epson v700 or v750

You should check out some wet-mounting videos. I don't think it's that big a deal. Never done it but it's not particularly intimidating after watching some youtubes...

Epson has a feature comparison of the two scanners on their website.

I got the V750 due to the enhanced optics in high-res mode. It has two lenses, a separate one for high res.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Epson has a feature comparison of the two scanners on their website.

I got the V750 due to the enhanced optics in high-res mode. It has two lenses, a separate one for high res.

- Leigh
    I too have the v750, for the optics, not for the wet mount capable holder. I would not use that one, for two reasons: 1) you have to mount on top of yet another piece of glass, so the scanner has to peer through two pieces of glass to get to your film; 2) the standard holders with the Epson do not allow the height to be fine tuned to the precise plane of sharpest focus.

I recommend the v750 (for the better optics), and purchase after market film holders from www.betterscanning.com. I have their wet/dry mounting station, which allows you to mount the film *under* the mounting station glass. Their holders also allow precise height adjustment, so your scan will be as precise as is possible. (I have no relationship with that company, by the way, I'm just a happy customer).

Regarding wet versus dry mounting, I think you will see small differences, not large. Wet is more work, and you may feel it is a waste of time for the small improvement. But that's a judgement call for you to make yourself.

The 700 and 750 both have the same enhanced optics. Both are greatly improved with the BSH, mainly due to being able to finely adjust the focus height. With the ANR, also great for convenient wet scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Evans View Post
    The 700 and 750 both have the same enhanced optics.
    The V750 has two lenses, one for the high-definition scanning mode. The V700 has only one lens.

That's one of the major differences between the two products. Says so right on the Epson website.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    The V750 has two lenses, one for the high-definition scanning mode. The V700 has only one lens.

That's one of the major differences between the two products. Says so right on the Epson website.

- Leigh
    Thats why i picked the v750.... i get great scans at 12800 although large file size.... most of the time 6400

The v750 has coated optics also.... supposedly sharper at hi rez scans... B&H still shows the V750 in stock... just checked

You might check Epson's Clearance shop as both the 700 and 750 show up there every once in a while. I picked up a 750 (refurbished) a month or so ago at a pretty good price. It was $548 and free shipping. Jim

Thanks for all the replies.

I thought about the 750 and the high res mode. But, unless I'm remembering wrong, I'm capped on the size that I could use with it. Also, I have to ask myself, What am I going to need scanned at such a resolution to justify the price increase?

Now, if I could get one refurbished for roughly the same price then it becomes a no brainer.

The V700 has the same dual lens set-up as the V750. The differences between them are the mounting system and the included software.
    The V750 PRO has the same dual lens system, with improved coatings on the lenses and mirror, called "enhanced optics". Reviews I have read claim no noticable resolution improvement due to the coatings.