Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Epson v700 or v750

Re: Epson v700 or v750

i got the 700 and quickly exchanged that for the 750.
    the 700 had great problems with newton rings especially visible on 4x5.
    also the bundled software of the 750 is a big upgrade compared to the 700 (no multiple scanning, very primitive dust removal).

overall a good scanner, the software silverscan is NOT optimized for multicore processors and somewhat buggy, and i was never able to install IT-8 target with EZ colour on Mac 8-core.

I was unable to get the EZ Color or the Silverscan software to work on my Mac. I just use Vuescan.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.023054,116.505169

Test scans

Here are a few of the images from today's test scan. The first is a full scan at 1200 dpi, but I had to reduce it for this website. This image was orginally taken to test tilt, but it is a reasonable one to work with for mounting practice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wettest-008.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	71947

There is an area of sharp focus along a strip of the pillow on the sofa in the background. The remaining scans focus on that.

The first one is a detail scan at 2400 dpi of the wet mounted slide. There is no visible difference between this one and the dry mounted one on the same betterscanning holder.
    (Click the image for the full size image.)

Name:	wettest-004.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	71948

The second one is the same detail area from the OEM holder.

Name:	wettest-019.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	71949

Finally, this is a scan at 100 dpi, which should show how large the portion of the negative is that is being scanned (assuming you are viewing on a 100dpi monitor):

Name:	wettest-006.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	71950

It is really hard to tell from this post the difference in the images, but on my monitor, looking at them in Photoshop, the differences are significant. Also, scans at higher dpi (I've scanned the test up to 6400dpi) show clear differences in sharpness between the OEM and betterscanning mounts. But there doesn't seem to be any difference between wet and dry mounting.

The 3M tapes (like Magic Tape) are acid-free.

Photobymike,

I am referring to the erroneous statement (originally made by Leigh) that the V700 has only one lens while the V750 has two. Claiming that the V700 does not have the dual optical system is misinformation to readers. In fact they both have two and are used in exactly the same way. I have already mentioned the upgraded Holder & Software of the V750. The V750 "enhanced optics" BS refers to lens & mirror coatings, which as far as I can gather, only Epson claims is an improvement. I can find no independent reference or test confirming this.

Chuck,

Re: Mylar. I have ton's. PM me and I will send you some.

Re: Test scans

Quote Originally Posted by chuck94022 View Post
    It is really hard to tell from this post the difference in the images, but on my monitor, looking at them in Photoshop, the differences are significant. Also, scans at higher dpi (I've scanned the test up to 6400dpi) show clear differences in sharpness between the OEM and betterscanning mounts. But there doesn't seem to be any difference between wet and dry mounting.
    I have to say that for me it is impossible to see the difference between the two images. The second one is more contrasty. Depending on what software and setup you used for scanning there might have been sharpening already added to your scan.
    From my part I have found that my V700 was the sharpest at the default lower position of the 4x5 holder so I was not really tempted to buy the BS holder.
    I do have a BS holder with antiN glass for MF but as I have a Nikon 8000 I never really use it.

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Evans View Post
    Photobymike,

I am referring to the erroneous statement (originally made by Leigh) that the V700 has only one lens while the V750 has two. Claiming that the V700 does not have the dual optical system is misinformation to readers. In fact they both have two and are used in exactly the same way. I have already mentioned the upgraded Holder & Software of the V750. The V750 "enhanced optics" BS refers to lens & mirror coatings, which as far as I can gather, only Epson claims is an improvement. I can find no independent reference or test confirming this.
    I cannot find a test that shows the difference either.... i just have my personal experience and feelings.... of many years of scanning... am still looking for the logical proof .But i do know that the v750 scans faster...and that is a big plus for me because of the production work i do........thanks

......maybe this scanner discussion should be in the digital hardware sub-forum?

Do either, or both, of the Epson scanners come with Epson Scan?

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei