Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bah! Gitzo.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bah! Gitzo.

So I sent my Gitzo ballhead back for a repair (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Ballhead.html).

it took FORRREEEVEER to come back and its still kind've wonky (still wiggles and the ball slips even when its cranked down)

I think I'd like to go back to a 3-way head but I'd also like it to be light. Suggestions?

wmsey

Re: Bah! Gitzo.

I use both Pan (or three way) and ball heads on 4x5 and Canon 1D (so heavy enough). Although I exclusively used an Arca B-1 for years it would be hard to go back to that heavy a head. It would also be hard to "just" use a pan head.

I mused about this last year: http://www.twentymillionthings.com/2...ht-ball-heads/

The Gitzo Pan head is nothing special, up to the task but not exceptional - but it does just fine shooting buildings. The post I've referenced talks about three light-weight ball heads. I've developed a wrist issue after 30 years of setting things on Tripods and weight has begun to matter.

And if you have a car to sell or don't mind a second mortgage: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...rca-cube.shtml.

William
    Last edited by wmsey; 9-Apr-2012 at 20:16. Reason: No edits

funkadelic

It depends on the camera, but without knowing that, I'd say a Manfrotto 405.

Take it apart and clean it yourself!

I have the big Foba Superball that gets "mushy" every few years. I cleaned it recently for the first time in about 4 years and it went from "mushy" (with a firm pressure required to lock it down) to rock solid with a flip of the finger. The cleaning also got rid of the starting friction when moving it from a locked position. It took a while because I was thorough. The Gitzo you have looks like it would be a lot simpler to do.

You don't say what you are plopping on the head. Personally I would prefer a geared head to the Foba I currently have for LF because leveling a 4x5 on a ball head is a bit of a pain and I don't really like 3 way pan heads. For smaller formats the ball head is the best.

I would love to get that Arca Cube.

Hi there. (I don't see your name listed). I saw your post that you cleaned your FOBA Superball but don't see any info on how you did this. Mine is so "stuck" right now, that I haven't used it for a long time. Any suggestions? Thanks, Michael

Quote Originally Posted by J. Fada View Post
    Take it apart and clean it yourself!

I have the big Foba Superball that gets "mushy" every few years. I cleaned it recently for the first time in about 4 years and it went from "mushy" (with a firm pressure required to lock it down) to rock solid with a flip of the finger. The cleaning also got rid of the starting friction when moving it from a locked position. It took a while because I was thorough. The Gitzo you have looks like it would be a lot simpler to do.

You don't say what you are plopping on the head. Personally I would prefer a geared head to the Foba I currently have for LF because leveling a 4x5 on a ball head is a bit of a pain and I don't really like 3 way pan heads. For smaller formats the ball head is the best.

I would love to get that Arca Cube.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lichter View Post
    Hi there. (I don't see your name listed). I saw your post that you cleaned your FOBA Superball but don't see any info on how you did this. Mine is so "stuck" right now, that I haven't used it for a long time. Any suggestions? Thanks, Michael
    I have the large one. The small one might be different. Take the screws out from around the base and the head should come apart. I know there are some other things to do as well but it has been a couple years since I last did it so I don't remember them exactly. If you can knock it loose then try lubing it without taking it apart. I use dry teflon bicycle chain lube. That works well and doesn't accumulate dirt. Some ball head manufacturers say to use WD-40 sparingly but that just seems dense to me. The last thing you want is gunk to build up and any type of wet lube will promote that.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write back. I also have the large one. I'll give your technique a try when I get back from this out-of-town shoot. Michael

Quote Originally Posted by J. Fada View Post
    I have the large one. The small one might be different. Take the screws out from around the base and the head should come apart. I know there are some other things to do as well but it has been a couple years since I last did it so I don't remember them exactly. If you can knock it loose then try lubing it without taking it apart. I use dry teflon bicycle chain lube. That works well and doesn't accumulate dirt. Some ball head manufacturers say to use WD-40 sparingly but that just seems dense to me. The last thing you want is gunk to build up and any type of wet lube will promote that.

Friends don't let friends use ballheads for view cameras!

Seriously, I hate them. They're amazing for small format cameras, or for shooting work where you don't care if the camera is level. They're also extremely solid when locked down. But it's difficult to level them in one axis without affecting the other. I used one at first when I switched to 4x5 and I was extremely glad to switch.

It depends on your camera of course, but I have two favorites. The Manfrotto 410 is geared and extremely easy to use. It works great with 4x5 field cameras and maybe some larger cameras, but no huge studio monorails or 8x10s. For architectural or urban work it's a pleasure. The only real disadvantages are that it might not last forever, since I've heard the gears wear (but it's relatively affordable so you can always buy another). And I hate the Manfrotto QR system. The plate, when used the way I like to use it which makes the camera more centered over the tripod, interferes with the drop bed on my Technika. It's secure but I vastly prefer either no QR or an Arca-style system. Somewhere I saw an adaptor plate to convert the manfrotto to an arca clamp, so that would help. It bolts in place so it should be solid.

My other favorite is the Linhof 3-way leveling head. I got it as a bonus when I bought my Technika and I've been using it most of the time since I got it. I do miss the gearing of the Manfrotto, but the Linhof is more solid, more compact and feels like it is made to a higher standard of quality. I like it for travel since it's not much bigger than a ballhead but just as solid. It also is a very simple design and it seems like not much could go wrong. I may get an arca clamp for it but now I use it without a QR. The only real downsides are the lack of gearing (but it's still easy to level the camera since each axis locks individually) and the price. New, they're about a grand, but they pop up used in the $300 range from time to time. Mine looks like it's been to hell and back but it still works perfectly.

In a perfect word, I'd get the Linhof 3d Micro. But $2200 buys a lot of film...

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post

My other favorite is the Linhof 3-way leveling head. I got it as a bonus when I bought my Technika and I've been using it most of the time since I got it. I do miss the gearing of the Manfrotto, but the Linhof is more solid, more compact and feels like it is made to a higher standard of quality. I like it for travel since it's not much bigger than a ballhead but just as solid. It also is a very simple design and it seems like not much could go wrong. I may get an arca clamp for it but now I use it without a QR. The only real downsides are the lack of gearing (but it's still easy to level the camera since each axis locks individually) and the price. New, they're about a grand, but they pop up used in the $300 range from time to time. Mine looks like it's been to hell and back but it still works perfectly.
    Amen to that, it's the best head for a 4x5 field.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah A View Post
    Friends don't let friends use ballheads for view cameras!
    And, though I recommended a ballhead in my last post, I agree with Noah — other types of heads are probably better suited to LF cameras.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design