Thread: Perfect box for 8x10 holders (for the urban crowd).

Perfect box for 8x10 holders (for the urban crowd).

This won't work for the hikers amongst you, but for those of us who are smart enough to drive to our locations, I think that I have finally found the PERFECT container for 8x10 holders!

I've been sniffing at DJ LP boxes for a while, but the height of an 8x10 cassette is slightly higher than 12", and most DJ boxes are made to fit 12" LPs exactly. Anyhow, I have found this beauty which is well made, light, sturdy, lined in black foam and holds 11 cassettes snugly, with a few inches on the side for your darkcloth, loupe or cuban sandwich. It even locks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box1.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	72715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	72716

The tag says that the manufacturer is "CNB: case n bagmakers to the world", but I have no other info on them and Google yields no retail results. I bought mine on eBay (Australia), but they are probably available form a local music/DJ record store where you are. If you want the link to the eBay store email me.

Happy shooting!
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Re: Perfect box for 8x10 holders (for the urban crowd).

Excellent.

After spending a huge amount on a professional box that is just to small for what I need I have now got one the perfect size

Looks like a dandy case. A word of caution though; every case I've ever owned (various makers) that used the "egg crate" foam in the lid have had that foam deteriorate over time. The foam turns into a crumbly black gooey mess that would be impossible to clean out of film holders - they'd be ruined! So check it frequently and either replace it or change to a different foam. I replaced that foam in all my cases with a closed-cell foam (which may dry out over a long time but won't make the mess). I bought my foam at REI ('cause there's a store close to me), cut it to fit the lids and glued it in with Gorilla Glue. Be sure to scrape the old foam out of the case before restoring. The REI foam is 3/8" thick, but multiple layers would work if you think necessary. Keeping holders in zip-lock bags is a good idea as protection against the deterioration as well as dust.

Here's the link for the foam:

http://www.rei.com/product/374053/st...am-pad-regular

Words of wisdom there Jerry: I agree wholeheartedly. Same with the whole Pick-n-pluck (I have another name for it that rhymes) foam business.

Many moons ago I used to assist a photog who'd had his Pelicans for decades (stored in the trunk of his car in the Aussie sun of course) and the disintegrated foam was all through everything - Nightmare! I have all my cases fitted out with either padded dividers or custom extruded hard foam. In this case the squishiness of the lid foam makes the fit oh-so-sweet though, so I'm thinking I'll keep an eye on it until I can find a better replacement.

I'll look into the foam you suggest but would it perhaps be too firm? (i.e. it may squish down too hard on the darkslides?)

Perhaps I could take out the piece of eggshell, cover it with black fabric and glue it back into the lid....
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Office Max / Office Depot here in the states have a couple of different filing and other office storage cases made for transporting office materials. I have a couple that I use for microphones and sundry other things on recording gigs...now that I look at them I think they would fit 4-5 8x10 holders sideways. Might be worth it to check out for a smaller solution for those who don't need so many holders at once. They're very light and sturdy, but don't have any foam or padding.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome