Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some ideas on what to do with a lens

Need some ideas on what to do with a lens

So I picked up a Fujinon 210 f/5.6 that is very badly etched from fungus as a free throw in on another purchase. The markings on the front element aren't going anywhere.

What do you suggest I do with the lens? There's a large part of me that wants to enhance (?) the damage to get a more unique look. As is, there's a decent loss in contrast, though it's still relatively sharp. I love the soft focus distorted look of old meniscus and petzval lenses, if that helps.

Looking forward to hearing ideas!

Re: Need some ideas on what to do with a lens

Shoot some images with the lens in its present condition and then either add loving touches to the glass or try some Vaseline. I am not a fain of adding goop on the glass, but it can be cleaned off a lot easier than scratches. In "enhancing" the glass, I would go with circular marks on the perimeter first and work in as you make test images. Bottom, have fun. Jon

Lachlan 717

Keep it well away from your "good" lenses. You don't want an of those fungal Hyphae getting out!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Vincepad View Post
    There's a large part of me that wants to enhance (?) the damage to get a more unique look. As is, there's a decent loss in contrast, though it's still relatively sharp. I love the soft focus distorted look of old meniscus and petzval lenses, if that helps.
    The old soft lenses got their softness through spherical aberration, you're working with diffusion. And Petzvals are just really something else... It wouldn't be the same, but it could have a lovely look of its own. Or it could just be low contrast...

I'd unscrew the cells and put them and the shutter in a tupperware-type container along with some bleach and let the fumes permeate them for a few days.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

See what it looks like on the groundglass without the front glass or front cell.

You have a good shutter on the fungusy lens? Then get a lens in a bad shutter (for a pittance) and screw the cells into the good shutter! Don't forget to switch aperture scales.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Keep it well away from your "good" lenses. You don't want an of those fungal Hyphae getting out!!
    Oh yes, it has been nowhere near the good lenses.

Absolutely. I don't expect to recreate those looks exactly - when I want those specific effects, I'll just use those lenses. I just love their distortion and soft focus and am curious about what I can pull out of this lens. I'm already getting some low contrast out of it, but I'm just up for some experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    The old soft lenses got their softness through spherical aberration, you're working with diffusion. And Petzvals are just really something else... It wouldn't be the same, but it could have a lovely look of its own. Or it could just be low contrast...

I'd unscrew the cells and put them and the shutter in a tupperware-type container along with some bleach and let the fumes permeate them for a few days.

Also - I use the bleach trick for a few days when I first got the lens months ago, AND left them in the sun for a couple of days. Still, I keep it well away from my other lenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post

Seems obvious, but I never thought of it! Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    See what it looks like on the groundglass without the front glass or front cell.