Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiber 16X20 paper

Unhappy Fiber 16X20 paper

A large west side Manhattan photo electronics retailer from whom I have bought a lot of cameras, lenses, chemicals, paper, etc.over the years is losing QC. I have stopped buying photo paper from them for the following reasons. The last two times I have visited the paper they order up from the basement cave has been suspect. A box of 16X20 that took them 35 minutes to locate, ascended from the underground torn with the lid off. I asked the check out folks if they really expected me to buy it-they looked dumbfounded. Two other times I have received defective paper, with large drop patterns on the finalized print. Some folks have suggested it is due to the last part of a production run. The manufacturer suggests it may be due to poor storage conditions combining humidity and excessive weight on the paper. (both of these were in cardboard envelope type enclosures not boxed)
    This sort of thing never used to happen.

Re: Fiber 16X20 paper

which paper MFG are we talking about?

Sounds like a new supplier is in your future

-Dan

QC across the board has gone to shit.
    Have you dealt with the class of 2015?
    Jesus crimminity, those kids definitely weren't produced at FoxConn.

Time to outsource breeding.

Ilford's still pretty good IMO

I was h.s. class of 2006, and I agree, there's a lot to be had. To quote dave ramsey "Eighteen year old's don't know what they want, their brains are full of mush". I agree wholeheartedly. But I'm sure there are exceptions to that statement .

Personally, I don't like the look of inkjets, that's what's keeping me using b/w paper in the darkroom. Unfortunately seeing $20 on average in paper go in the waste bin during a full-day printing session really hurts through financially

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hull View Post
    A large west side Manhattan photo electronics retailer from whom I have bought a lot of cameras, lenses, chemicals, paper, etc.over the years is losing QC....The manufacturer suggests it may be due to poor storage conditions combining humidity and excessive weight on the paper. (both of these were in cardboard envelope type enclosures not boxed)...
    Please stop beating around the bush:

* Name the retailer and manufacturer
    * When did the manufacturer say the paper's code indicates it was made?

Retailer B&H paper was Ilford 16X20 fiber. I have found Ilford to be cooperative before when I bought an unopened box of 5X7 FP4 without notches which they replaced. I am inclined to think, without proof, that it was storage conditions, given the mangled box or envelope sometimes sent up from the B&H basement. I am now trying Fomatone MG-thinking that Bergger is just too expensive.

A large west side Manhattan photo electronics retailer...A box of 16X20 that took them 35 minutes to locate, ascended from the underground torn with the lid off. I asked the check out folks if they really expected me to buy it-they looked dumbfounded...This sort of thing never used to happen.
    Retailer B&H paper was Ilford 16X20 fiber...
    Thanks for the full disclosure. I agree that storage conditions were probably to blame. In the past, stock turnover was much higher. Today, 16x20 fiber-base paper probably doesn't move well at all, especially if you bought Galerie (graded). That's absolutely no excuse for B&H selling it to you in such a condition.

I suggest that, in the future, if any retailer brings a package looking like that to the checkout location, you inspire dumbfounded looks by refusing to purchase it. Also, do send a message to Henry Posner describing this situation and your decision not to deal with B&H. I suspect he'll do whatever it takes to make you happy. Henry can be reached at:

Well I hater to bet a dead horse, but since I had reserved the NYC printspace darkroom, and had no paper, I had to go to B&H to get paper for printing early today. Today's purchase of 16X20 Ilford warm tone paper came in the cardboard container that had been properly handled. Yep, the first (or last) sheet developed a simliar pattern of uneven development, where the rest of the box did not. It isn't that it was a little off, it looked like an zebra pattern-commpletely unusable. So I am back to thinking it is uneven emulsion application in the manufacturing process. I have to send a part apology to B&H and get in touch with Ilford. I think the man's name is Simon-does anyone have his email address?

...I think the man's name is Simon-does anyone have his email address?
    Simon.Galley@harmantechnology.com

So I am back to thinking it is uneven emulsion application in the manufacturing process. I have to send a part apology to B&H and get in touch with Ilford.
    Thank you. Please never hesitate to let us know if there's any problem with a product purchased from us.