Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jonathan Sobel not happy with William Eggleston's latest marketing move.

Re: Jonathan Sobel not happy with William Eggleston's latest marketing move.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    In my opinion, unless the photographer makes it clear that the "limited" edition is not really limited, then it is wrong to make more prints, regardless of whether they are larger or in a different medium. From the discussions I have read, it does not appear that there is universal agreement even among those in the trade as to the meaning of a limited edition. I don't blame the buyer for being upset.
    Photo Biz –> Editioning

Drew Wiley

Most of my own climbing was done further upriver on the bigger Tables, but I did comb every inch of Little Table with a metal detector looking for J. Murieta's famous cache of
    Wells Fargo gold which he rapidly buried on some hill on his run up to Sutter Buttes, where
    he was killed. I would be worth about four hundred million at today's commodity index. No
    luck, obviously. But I did get some interesting fossils, esp petrified wood. And it's up in those little caves and crannies that I first fell in love with photography. Some amazing color when the fog is in. Technically the Ione Formation. Further upriver it's capped with
    two deeper Pliocene basalt layers and their own incredible lichen patches. Plenty of eagle
    nests too.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Good. I hope it finally all gets decided, one way or another – but it won't – and I don't give a fig which way it goes. A pox on all their houses. Forget it Jake, it's Art town.
    Video: A Glimpse Into How the Art World Works
    Interesting POV. It seems to be aimed at painters and sculptors, though.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I think there is an interesting comment in the middle of the article:

"And Gagosian, in turn, was perfectly happy to sell me a whopping great 50″x60″ print (plus frame) for $15,000. Even if I could afford that kind of money, I don’t have anywhere to put a photograph that big. But Gagosian isn’t selling the prints in the smaller sizes that photography collectors generally like."

More and more of the contemporary "Art" photographic prints are large size, often ink jet printed. It appears that "Art" collectors do not appreciate the hand-crafted contact print or optically-enlarged print.

I hope he makes a millions, and why not. No other art form seems to be bending over backwards with a twist to keep its street cred, the day photography(as an art) stops caring is the day it 'becomes' an art. My THREE cents! :-)