Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need ebay advice on buyer with zero feedback

Need ebay advice on buyer with zero feedback

I've sold a bunch of items on ebay (as well as here), but I now have a new experience and need advice. One item I'm selling there has met the reserve but the bidder has zero purchases and zero feedback. I don't yet know where he is located.

My concern is that this could conceivably be a scam situation that we've all heard the horror stories about.

Any advice on how to protect myself on being sure the sale/buyer is legitimate would be greatly appreciated. I'll definitely wait until the funds transfer from paypal into my bank, but is there anything else I can do to protect myself from paypal coming after the funds if this turns out to be a scammer?

Thanks!!!!

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: Need ebay advice on buyer with zero feedback

Only ship if they have a verified address.
    Get Delivery Confirmation.

With those two things you can't really get scammed. If you are uncomfortable just cancel the bid - you can do that I believe.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I'm going through this now. If they don't pay you don't ship and then you can open a non paying bidder case to get your fees back. If it sells eBay will charge you fees even if the buyer doesn't pay. Also use signature confirmation. eBay requires it for items values more than $250.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

We all started our ebay experience with ZERO too. I was going to suggest what Bryan did. I'd further suggest that if you decide to hold the item until payment moves from PP to your bank... clearly disclose that to the buyer before the deal is made.

It doesn't even matter if you wait for the Paypal funds to go to your bank account. Paypal will just take it back out apparently. That's why you've got to have your ducks in a row in regards to tracking/delivery confirmation. Another good suggestion regarding signature confirmation.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

If it's a $25 item, just sent it. If it's something you can't afford to lose, I'd be very careful.

Thanks for all of the good advice. As I said, I've got lots of sales through them, but this is a first without any feedback info. FYI....I just tracked down a customer service phone number for ebay and was able to get a bit more data on this bidder such as joining date (2011),their bidding history (none), and the country of origin (USA) so I'm at least a bit more secure since it is at least within the country and therefore a bit more accessible through the legal system if there would be any kind of attempted fraud. In case any of you would like to contact ebay customer service and actually hear a voice, that number is 866-877-3229.

Thanks again for the help.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

"the country of origin (USA) so I'm at least a bit more secure since it is at least within the country and therefore a bit more accessible through the legal system"
    Not totally. It could be a mail drop address from which merchandise is forwarded to someplace else.

We got hit for almost a full 20' container of high end luggage that way.
    And we knew exactly where in a gated community the buyer lived in.

once the money is moved from paypal to your bank account, paypal can't claw it back. Move it to a 2nd account if you are really paranoid.

Nobody has mentioned this so I will; call them. PM them through the ebay system and say you'd like to discuss the sale since they have no feedback. Give them your number and/or ask for theirs. When you talk, you'll get a good feel for if it's a reliable buyer our some flake.