Thread: What can you tell me about Spencer Petzval type?

Jody

What can you tell me about Spencer Petzval type?

I happened to walk into an antique store today and found a couple things at a nice price. Then I saw this Spencer Projector with a Petzval type lens on it. The whole projector is in nice condition, but I have no need for the whole thing. Wondering if it is worth the $98 to buy the whole thing to get the lens.

I honestly thought there was going to be a gaggle of info on the net about these, so I didn't get all the details other than it said 4" Spencer and functions like a petzval. Or, so I believe. Much like the one Dan (Fotoguy20d)had for sale in this class ad: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...cer+projection, but nowhere near that big. Thanks Dan for the link with pics and if you happen to have an example image made with the one you sold, I would love to see it. It The entire projector I saw, was only about 24" tall max. The lens maybe around 1 3/4" 2 1/4" did.

I saw quite a bit about Spencer Port-land, but they are not the same build.

Any help is appreciated,
    Jody

Re: What can you tell me about Spencer Petzval type?

The Spencers I've had were all triplets, and not petzvals.
    Richard

Unless this lens is huge (focal length greater than 40cm), then the 98USD would be money wasted. The linked "Spencer" lens does look like a petzval, but these can be just long triplets with concealed mounts for the middle -ve lens. Triplets replaced Petzvals for economic reasons, only three lenses to be ground and finished, compared with four for petzvals.

I'm kicking myself to this very day...

About 12 years ago I took up ULF with an 8x20 Canham.
    Simultaneously, I got GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) and started a quest for more lenses.
    I found a brass 18" f:5.6 Spencer Port-Land to try.
    Back then my opinion was that: "the only good lens is a sharp lens".
    I tried a few shots and returned it because it "wasn't sharp".
    What a dope...

A couple of years ago I started to wake up.
    (I probably started to listen to Jim Galli too...)
    Now I wish I still had that Spencer lens.
    Too late.

That sent me on a different path.
    I began fiddling with old meniscus lenses and recognized the beauty of the soft focus image.
    Now I make low cost replicas of photography's first lens, the Wollaston Meniscus.
    Read about it here:

www.Re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

Reinhold

And... the two "test shots" done with that lens:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reiny (Spencer lens) 745.jpg   Judy (Spencer lens) 745.jpg  

Jody

Thank you for the replies. It was immediately apparent that I did not get all the info I needed from the lens when I first got home and searched the internet. I am not particularly schooled this area and assumed a simple search would answer my questions. I did not think to look at how the lens was built, as in, number of elements. I know it wasn't a Port-Land. If it had been $30 or something, I probably would have picked it up just for the fun of finding out what it did. $98 on the other hand made me want to know more before dropping the cash.

Reinhold, that is an interesting hobby you have there. I like it. I have a detailed background in custom woodworking and have always given thought to the possibilities of merging my love for camera/photography with it. However, i need to learn a lot more about image making first. The guillotine shutter looks like a fun thing to make. I have also toyed with the idea of making a sheets film holders for dip-n-dunk film processing.