Well, as some people know already, I'm starting to build my first camera..

Here is the plan.

4x5 point and shoot based around my 75/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon-N

The Story...

Well, I got into LF about 6 months ago, I rushed into the purchase of a Linhof Kardan Super Colour ST. Being a Linhof, I trusted that it would be a good quality camera, and by all means it is. The problem is that I am landscape shooter, and a 2ft long 6lb+ metal camera is not fun on long walks into the wilderness.. In an attempt to lighten it up a bit I modified it by cutting the rail in half. Its now suited for lenses between 58~65 and around 180mm.

I've used it a few times since shortening it and I must say its much nicer to use, but the size and weight are still restrictive.

I have a jewellery box here that is 6x6x2.5" I have the revolving back off the Kardan I can use.. So basically if I light tight the box, add about 12~15mm to the depth of the box and stick the revolving back onto it, its pretty much a done deal...

My other thought was to make a relatively fixed focus 4x5.. In short, a U shaped aluminium bracket that attaches to my tripod head that I can bolt the front and rear standards of the kardan attached (including bellows.) If I held the front standard in a slot so it can move forward and backwards for basic focus. I would also be able to easily add front tilt to the camera. That would probably be the easiest option. Although a point and shoot (for the type of photography I do) would be favorable.

Anyone who has made a P&S with a 75mm lens, could you please let me know how you went with hyperfocalality. I find with my lens on the monorail, I can only get 100% hyperfocality (1m to horizon) either at f/32 with a slight front tilt or at f/45. I do not particularly want to shoot at f/45, and it would be near impossible to accurately add a fixed front tilt to a P&S.

Would I be better waiting until I have the money to buy something wider, a 58 or 47 XL for example..

I did consider making this as a 6x12 or 6x17, but I have the feeling a 4x5 will be much easier to make..

I've read a lot of the threads in here, and seen many of the cameras in the "show us your home made camera" thread... Impressive work from everyone. and its given me many ideas..

I will add to this thread as I progress. Hopefully I will have a prototype in a week or two. Prototype will be made out of treated pine. Once I have something workable, I will make it out of teak or oak.

I'll be back to post some pics in a few days with some raw materials and hopefully the start of construction.

Oh, what do people recommend for strength and light tight boxes, half lap or box join? Or is it more a matter of aesthetics. I dont care what mine looks like as long as it doesnt leak light..