Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building my first camera...

Re: Building my first camera...

Alex -- A Graflock back would be the logical choice for such an elegant camera as you are designing, but a spring back may easier to find and certainly easier to build. A major advantage of the Graflock back is for using roll film. If the same size prints are planned from both roll and sheet film, the DOF calculations and lens to film spacing will be slightly different.

Landscape Addict

I pretty much exclusively shoot roll film. I was almost inclined to make this camera a 6x12.. Just find a way of attaching my 6x12 holder directly to it.. that would have cut the size and weight down a fair bit.. DOF wise, I've set it up for the 6x12, all things being equal, if its hyperfocal at F/32 on 612, it will be hyperfocal on 4x5.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by alexn View Post
    I was almost inclined to make this camera a 6x12.
    I have built one of those too. See link below.

Steve.

Landscape Addict

I've seen your 612 before and thats one of the reasons I wanted to build one. I would however use a modified graflock 6x12 holder so I could use a ground glass... I don't like using view finders because I use a lot of grad filters and what not... Without the ability to view through the lens, it would be near on impossible to align grads (unless your regularly place your horizon line dead center in the image..

I have plenty of wood left over from camera #1. (Glue is curing nicely... should be ready for test shots in a couple of days...) So I might make a small 6x12 camera. I would like to build a fixed focus 6x17 with my 90mm F/8 too.. That will come later as I don't quite know how I'd go about it just yet.
    Alexartphotography

Quote Originally Posted by zthee View Post

I've built a "camera" of cardboard and tape!
    It's just a test, hence the "camera" - But now I understand more about flange back and fun stuff like that.

How's the wooden camera coming along?
    LOL!

I gotta try this.

Got the helical yesterday. Looks and feels nice! Now just waiting for the grounding glass.

Think I'll build a wood version before spending loads of money on 3D printing. Or just something that hold together better than cardboard and tape!

Landscape Addict

Is that one of the ebay helicals? I was considering implementing one of those in my design to fix the whole "HFD" issue. I'm pretty sure that my camera is the right width now. I am waiting on the laquer to cure at the moment, then painting the interior black and it should be ready for a film test.
    Alexartphotography