Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share experience creating digital negatives with Epson Stylus Pro 7600

Question Share experience creating digital negatives with Epson Stylus Pro 7600

Hi:

Read http://www.dpug.org/forums/f8/best-d...n-7600-a-1033/ that Epson 7600 produces Venetian blinds (lines of uneven density) in digital negatives.

Appreciate if anyone having an experience with this specific printer (Epson 7600) could share his/her workflow to create digital negatives! It would be nice to learn about both pros and cons of the workflow used (like PDN or QTR or others) as well as the a concern expressed above.

Thanks!

/zenny

---

Support http://thehumanape.com

Re: Share experience creating digital negatives with Epson Stylus Pro 7600

Start by searching "digital negatives", there have been recent threads on it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Start by searching "digital negatives", there have been recent threads on it.
    I posted the new thread after searching for "digital negatives" both at duckduckgo and here in the forum.

And I would like to hear the first hand experience from the forum users (from the horse mouth) about the workflow with Epson 7600.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zenny View Post
    I posted the new thread after searching for "digital negatives" both at duckduckgo and here in the forum.

And I would like to hear the first hand experience from the forum users (from the horse mouth) about the workflow with Epson 7600.

Thanks!
    It's the ink set you need to be concerned with, not so much the printer as long as it is working properly. The 7600 uses Ultrachrome ink which will produce negative densities adequate for alternative processes such a palladium printing.

It is also supported by QTR if that interests you.

Essentially the workflow for all inkjet printers is the same.

Thumbs up Re: Share experience creating digital negatives with Epson Stylus Pro 7600

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    It's the ink set you need to be concerned with, not so much the printer as long as it is working properly. The 7600 uses Ultrachrome ink which will produce negative densities adequate for alternative processes such a palladium printing.

Thanks again, Don for useful input.

Appreciate it if anyone could post there any sample curves (QTR/PDN) which is calibrated for Epson 7600 for pt-pd printing?

But what about the reported Venetian blinds as I posted in my original post above from DPUG? That concerns me, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post

I have an Epson 7600 and use it with a Piezography K7 inkset. It is capable of making excellent prints on paper.

The Epson 7600 with the Epson inkset gives sufficient UV blocking density for alternative printing, but I would not recommend it for making digital negatives, either with the Epson inkset or with Piezography. This printer, and the 4000 and 2200 which are of the same generation, do indeed have a history of causing banding. Virtually everyone I know who has tried to use the 2200, 4000 and 7600 for making digital negatives has experienced some problem with banding, either Venetian blinds, which is parallel to the run of the printer head, or vertical banding, which is usually a media problem.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I have an Epson 7600 and use it with a Piezography K7 inkset. It is capable of making excellent prints on paper.

The Epson 7600 with the Epson inkset gives sufficient UV blocking density for alternative printing, but I would not recommend it for making digital negatives, either with the Epson inkset or with Piezography. This printer, and the 4000 and 2200 which are of the same generation, do indeed have a history of causing banding. Virtually everyone I know who has tried to use the 2200, 4000 and 7600 for making digital negatives has experienced some problem with banding, either Venetian blinds, which is parallel to the run of the printer head, or vertical banding, which is usually a media problem.

Sandy King
    Thank you so much for this first hand information, very useful.

BTW, do you ever tried other pro printers which has no media-related problem to produce digital negatives?

/z

Quote Originally Posted by zenny View Post
    Thank you so much for this first hand information, very useful.

BTW, do you ever tried other pro printers which has no media-related problem to produce digital negatives?

/z
    I own and have used an Epson 3800 for several years and have not had any banding with it with digital negatives. I have also used several 3880 7800 and 9800 printers at workshops and these printers did not have any banding issues.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I use the 4880 and 7880 and have had no problems with banding.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I own and have used an Epson 3800 for several years and have not had any banding with it with digital negatives. I have also used several 3880 7800 and 9800 printers at workshops and these printers did not have any banding issues.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rosenberg View Post
    I use the 4880 and 7880 and have had no problems with banding.

Mike
    Thanks for sharing this useful info. This is what I am expecting.

It would be wonderful if you share your sample curve settings to create digital negatives using OTR, if any. Looking forward to ;-)