Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Digital negatives for contact printing "are you experienced"

Re: Digital negatives for contact printing "are you experienced"

If you ditch photoshop you dont need a fancy computer. I used Picture Window Pro, its a true 16 bit editor and very fast and easy on rescources comapared to photoshop. What is good in photoshop are some plugins like PK sharpener, also layer masks, the healing brush, history brush etc. You can do without all those things but they are nice. How big do you want to print? Thats the printer you need, search on ebay for a 2nd hand one. You dont have to have the best of everything to do good work, just the will. Just the same as cameras and lenses, make the best of what you have already. The stuff you need can be had for much less than a 7x17 Korona, lens and holders. What you need most of all is beginners mind, and that cant be bought at any price. Its really good to learn something new but I suppose its hard to put the good results aside from an already purchased ULF camera and take the plunge into that cold water. To be a complete printer and printing teacher in this modern world its something that needs to be done.

I'm going to be delving into digital negatives from 4x5" film, printed on an Epson 4900. I have some Pictorico OHP Film, but apparently Pictorico has no profile for the 4900. Does anyone have a suggestion on what alternative profile/approach I may try?
    David, I use QTR. Has worked well for me.

Thanks Andrew for sharing about the alternative cheap materials you used. Could you tell a bit more about from where you ordered and the supplier? Would be helpful if you post links to the item numbers for inks and the OHP transparency?
    Zenny, where are you located? If you are in the States you can get it at Freestyle:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?rfnc=3008
    They also carry Arista OHP, which is more reasonably priced.

I get the inks at www.123inkcartridges.ca When I run out of the batch that I have, I'm going to invest in refillable cartridges.

andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    David, I use QTR. Has worked well for me.

Zenny, where are you located? If you are in the States you can get it at Freestyle:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?rfnc=3008
    They also carry Arista OHP, which is more reasonably priced.

I get the inks at www.123inkcartridges.ca When I run out of the batch that I have, I'm going to invest in refillable cartridges.

andrew
    Thanks for the info. I am actually based in Northern Europe.

However, you mentioned about a Chinese supplied earlier in the post if I remember right. Is there a link to that supplier so that I can directly order from? And could you specify which non-brand Chinese OHP (at par with pictorico in quality) that you used from a screen printer? That would be very helpful to know.

Cheeres,
    /zenny

Quote Originally Posted by zenny View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am actually based in Northern Europe.

However, you mentioned about a Chinese supplied earlier in the post if I remember right. Is there a link to that supplier so that I can directly order from? And could you specify which non-brand Chinese OHP (at par with pictorico in quality) that you used from a screen printer? That would be very helpful to know.

Cheeres,
    /zenny
    Andrew was referring to Chinese manufactured ink not OHP.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Andrew was referring to Chinese manufactured ink not OHP.
    Yep, but he seems to have been referring to something which is not pictorico, but similar to it which he got from the local screen printer. Any clue to that specific OHP film would be useful, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by zenny View Post
    Yep, but he seems to have been referring to something which is not pictorico, but similar to it which he got from the local screen printer. Any clue to that specific OHP film would be useful, I guess.
    The answer lies here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...934#post891934