Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Death Valley photographer?

Drew Wiley

Re: Best Death Valley photographer?

My favorite is Claude Fidler - not because he's artistically significant - in fact, he's largely
    given up photography - but because he's the only fellow to seriously explore Great Basin
    backcountry with a 4x5. Some of those spots are pretty tricky to get into, and it took
    a higly conditioned climber like him to do it. I've even been to incredible places in Death Valley which exactly zero name-brand photographers have ever seen. Long time ago, when I was personally well heat conditioned. Just approaching some of those canyons
    with an 8X10 a few years ago made me quite aware of the distinction of living on the foggy
    coast for decades versus hot low desert, even in February! But when the inland folks visit
    here in the summer, they're wearing coats while I'm running around in a T-shirt. So it's all
    relative.

To ask "who is the best photographer" of any region is in most cases misguided. Photographers that get their work printed and praised in magazines or put up in notable galleries are sometimes not those that have done the best work in a region but rather those with the best media and business connections. The business end of photography has always been a significant wall to many landscape photographers especially color photographers. Currently with the rise of the Internet and digital cameras, the whole marketing and media side of photography is in constant changing and evolving chaos. But even before the modern era there have always been many talented artists much less photographers that were ignored by the powers that be. Another issue is many long time large format photographers have years of work that only a small fraction of which probably ever gets in front of the public. Additionally there has never been a structure or forum for photographers to have their work compared with similar work of others even for places like Yosemite Valley.

Thus a better question might be what and where are some of the better publicly viewable large format images of Death Valley.

No need to unmask my question! Just read the original post...The question is:

Who is your favorite Great Basin/Mojave/Sonoran desert photographer in any format?

Would love to hear about all these overlooked photographers...

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    That would make a great postcard! Of course only fellow photographers would buy it.....

I really like the image of you making the image. That is a cool shot in its own right. Like to see what you got that morning.
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer

Who said the photographer is me? Crap, my subtle attempts at comic strip humor foiled again. Next time I'll wear a paper bag over my head.

Here is the scanned proof of the view in question. Because the negative was inadvertently underexposed by at least 2 stops and lacks shadow detail in the distant Black Mountains and not focused properly at infinity, it did not meet my criteria for a fine art print. Next time I'll put eyeholes in the bag.

Trail Canyon, Death Valley (proof) followed immediately, obtained by shooting towards the west at the same location, and exposing optimally.

Both images were FP4+ (PMK Pyro), taken at sunset in the record winter rain season of 2005, at the flooded salt flats – by an unknown photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren H View Post
    That would make a great postcard! Of course only fellow photographers would buy it.....

I really like the image of you making the image. That is a cool shot in its own right. Like to see what you got that morning.
    No good! It's a sunrise/sunset, with possibly exaggerated color--maybe even a near/far, wide-angle composition shot. See original post!

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    No good! It's a sunrise/sunset, with possibly exaggerated color--maybe even a near/far, wide-angle composition shot. See original post!

--Darin
    Imagine a thread that deviates from the initial OP. It was meant to be a joke on the sanctimonious nature of your thread (as you have proved). I'll remove the images requested by Darren H (but not the cartoon), so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities, any more than I already have. Yep, there's that chip. Small, very small.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Imagine a thread that deviates from the initial OP. It was meant to be a joke on the sanctimonious nature of your thread (as you have proved). I'll remove the images requested by Darren H (but not the cartoon), so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities, any more than I already have. Yep, there's that chip. Small, very small.
    Imagine a thread where a reply goes off the deep end. What's with the hostility? What on earth are you talking about? Do I need smiley emoticons after every sentence or what?

--Darin

Drew Wiley

Good ole Badwater. All that alkalai dust and clay getting into your gear on a windy March
    day. Last time I was there it was filled with a lake thirty miles long with kayaks in it. Rare
    sight from up on Augeberry Pt.