Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wet plate back for Deardorff V8?

wet plate back for Deardorff V8?

Anyone know if a back for wet plate work was made for the Deardorff V8?

Have not seen any at the used or auction sites.

I know I can get plate holders for 8x10 but a back might be a good way to go.

Re: wet plate back for Deardorff V8?

Ray Morgenweck (sp?) of the Star Camera Company would list such V8 backs periodically on ebay. He posted somewhere (ebay or the civil war photography reenactment forum?) that he had recently made his last one. It may still be available through his website. Google "Star Camera Company."

There appears to be such a demand and backlog for complete wetplate cameras that the cameramakers don't want to make just adapter backs anymore. Someone with decent woodworking skills could probably generate quite an income from specializing in just the adapter backs.

It isn't hard to convert a conventional modern 8x10 film-holder for wet plate, but the largest you could get in an 8x10 would be about whole plate, (6.5x8.5). I use converted film holders, and have never had a drip inside my camera after hundreds of plates.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Is there a detailed tutorial online for such conversion? I've seen a couple but missed better photos of the process or a more detailed explanation. I have a few 8x10 holders I would like to convert myself. I guess wood holders are easier than plastic?

By far this is what u want.

http://incameraindustries.com/

Converting holders subjects u to all kinds of contamination issues.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

funkadelic

Eddie,
    How is that one different from the Graflex pressure plate holder or the one Bill Schwab was/is offering?

Thanks,
    Chris

The graflex is made from wood. The wood degrades fast and is tough to keep Clean.

Schwab stopped making his (I think). Also Schwab's was not a true 8x10. It was slightly smaller all the way around.

Jody's is a true 8x10.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Dakotah,

I had one of my 8x10 holders modified for wet plate. It cost $40 through Lund Photographics. This was by far the cheapest way I found to start in wet plate. You can see it here.

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    Is there a detailed tutorial online for such conversion? I've seen a couple but missed better photos of the process or a more detailed explanation. I have a few 8x10 holders I would like to convert myself. I guess wood holders are easier than plastic?
    Actually, the newer holders like the Fidelities seem to work best.

Here are some crappy snap shots, if you want to try to make your own. (I started with pretty beat-up holders to make mine.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	71554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	71553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	71552

1.) Start with a plate cut to the size you want, and draw an outline on the inside of the film holder. Center it carefully!

2.) Drill some big holes in the middle of the lines on each side of the plate outline.

3.) Using a scroll saw with a fine-tooth metal-cutting blade, cut out the rectangle.

4.) Drill two little holes near each corner.

5.) Put a small piece of silver wire through the two holes at each corner to support the plate. Bend them to fit and support the plate as necessary.

6.) Epoxy over the wire ends to hold them in place.

7.) Tape a little flap of cardboard on the backside of the holder. This can flip up out of the way for loading/unloading the plate, and when flipped down over the back of the plate, will provide a little pressure (when the back darkside is in place) so the plate stays in place in the holder.

8.) Mark one of the darkslides "Back" on both sides so you'll remember which is the front and back when putting it in the camera.

You should wipe it clean after each plate (as with any type of wet plate back). I've used my holders for hundreds of plates, and while they are somewhat stained, every holder is still going strong. Handle loaded holders only by the edge, so you don't squeeze the dark slide into the plate.

I have several 8x10 cameras, and it's nice to use any 8x10 back rather than have a different wet plate back made to fit each one.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks Mark, a lot simpler than I thought it would be. I happen to have a couple Fidelity holders I thought I'd never use.