Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

Better to be safe then sorry, so...

I have the liquid pre-mixed (not in glycol)

For 1:1:100 stock working solution

I am going to mix 10ml each of the solutions (A&B) into 1000ml distilled water.

Is room temp 68F acceptable or should I pre-heat the water prior to adding the solutions?

Thanks, Dave.

Re: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by David Brunell View Post
    Better to be safe then sorry, so...

I have the liquid pre-mixed (not in glycol)

For 1:1:100 stock working solution

I am going to mix 10ml each of the solutions (A&B) into 1000ml distilled water.

Is room temp 68F acceptable or should I pre-heat the water prior to adding the solutions?

Thanks, Dave.
    Room temperature of 68ºF is fine.

Main issue in mixing is to avoid contamination of Stock A with B or of Stock B with A. One way to do this is to use separate beakers and/or syringes for measuring Solution A and Solution B.

Sandy King
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Perfect, I measure and add them to the water independently...

Thank you Sandy, I am looking forward to using this.

David,

I'm not sure how critical it really is, but I think best practice is to add the carbonate (part B) to the water, stir well, then add the part A and stir again. I always add the developer to the full volume of solution I want to use. For instance, if I'm making up 500ml of solution, I add the part A and part B to 500ml of water and ignore the slight error in dilution. This has never caused me the slightest problem, and it removes a step (final topping up) from the mixing. Granted, my developers are more concentrated, but I think the same principle applies to Pyrocat HD. As Sandy says, the really critical thing is to avoid contamination of the part A by part B, which would ruin the stock solution in a very short time.

Thats good to know as I am goint to be doing 500ml batches for 120 roll film. Sounds pretty straight forward...I have a feeling this is going to be one of those things (developer) that I should have discovered long ago.

I am actually souping up right now, just as Jay mentioned. As Sandy says, contamination should be avoided! This evening i am going to develop a couple of sheets that i shot without my light meter. I drove for over a 120 miles only to discover i had left my light meter at home. The good thing was, the film in my holders, Efke PL 50 has been a staple of most of my work. I hope every thing will be ok! I will do a couple of test first. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by tautatis View Post
    I am actually souping up right now, just as Jay mentioned. As Sandy says, contamination should be avoided! This evening i am going to develop a couple of sheets that i shot without my light meter. I drove for over a 120 miles only to discover i had left my light meter at home. The good thing was, the film in my holders, Efke PL 50 has been a staple of most of my work. I hope every thing will be ok! I will do a couple of test first. Great stuff!
    Nah, don't worry about it you will be fine...Another photographer I read about ran into a similar situation and his print turned out just fine.

http://www.anseladams.com/Articles.asp?ID=145

Quote Originally Posted by tautatis View Post
    Think of it as an opportunity to determine just how essential a light meter is for you. A light meter would be way down on my list of essentials. I hope you find the same thing. Good luck!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

David,

If you are learning how to mix chemicals, then learn to do it the correct way: One always tops offto the final desired volumn and not the reverse. This is something that you learn in HS chemistry. "Do it once, do it right."

The only time that you add to the final desired volumn is when you do percentages. For example adding 10 grams to 100mL of water for a 10% solution.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    David,

If you are learning how to mix chemicals, then learn to do it the correct way: One always tops offto the final desired volumn and not the reverse. This is something that you learn in HS chemistry. "Do it once, do it right."

The only time that you add to the final desired volumn is when you do percentages. For example adding 10 grams to 100mL of water for a 10% solution.

Thomas
    Thanks for the tip Thomas. I don't know what a chemistry classroom looks like for what it is worth! Got it...
    700ml's water, A then B individually then top it off with 300ml's water. Done.
    Thanks