Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    151

    Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

    Better to be safe then sorry, so...

    I have the liquid pre-mixed (not in glycol)

    For 1:1:100 stock working solution

    I am going to mix 10ml each of the solutions (A&B) into 1000ml distilled water.

    Is room temp 68F acceptable or should I pre-heat the water prior to adding the solutions?

    Thanks, Dave.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    4,618

    Re: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Brunell View Post
    Better to be safe then sorry, so...

    I have the liquid pre-mixed (not in glycol)

    For 1:1:100 stock working solution

    I am going to mix 10ml each of the solutions (A&B) into 1000ml distilled water.

    Is room temp 68F acceptable or should I pre-heat the water prior to adding the solutions?

    Thanks, Dave.
    Room temperature of 68F is fine.

    Main issue in mixing is to avoid contamination of Stock A with B or of Stock B with A. One way to do this is to use separate beakers and/or syringes for measuring Solution A and Solution B.

    Sandy King
    http://www.sandykingphotography.com/
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at Yahoo.
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CarbronTransfer/

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    151

    Re: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

    Perfect, I measure and add them to the water independently...

    Thank you Sandy, I am looking forward to using this.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    2,916

    Re: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

    David,

    I'm not sure how critical it really is, but I think best practice is to add the carbonate (part B) to the water, stir well, then add the part A and stir again. I always add the developer to the full volume of solution I want to use. For instance, if I'm making up 500ml of solution, I add the part A and part B to 500ml of water and ignore the slight error in dilution. This has never caused me the slightest problem, and it removes a step (final topping up) from the mixing. Granted, my developers are more concentrated, but I think the same principle applies to Pyrocat HD. As Sandy says, the really critical thing is to avoid contamination of the part A by part B, which would ruin the stock solution in a very short time.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    151

    Re: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

    Thats good to know as I am goint to be doing 500ml batches for 120 roll film. Sounds pretty straight forward...I have a feeling this is going to be one of those things (developer) that I should have discovered long ago.

  6. #6
    Tautatis tautatis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    69

    Re: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

    I am actually souping up right now, just as Jay mentioned. As Sandy says, contamination should be avoided! This evening i am going to develop a couple of sheets that i shot without my light meter. I drove for over a 120 miles only to discover i had left my light meter at home. The good thing was, the film in my holders, Efke PL 50 has been a staple of most of my work. I hope every thing will be ok! I will do a couple of test first. Great stuff!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    151

    Re: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

    Quote Originally Posted by tautatis View Post
    I am actually souping up right now, just as Jay mentioned. As Sandy says, contamination should be avoided! This evening i am going to develop a couple of sheets that i shot without my light meter. I drove for over a 120 miles only to discover i had left my light meter at home. The good thing was, the film in my holders, Efke PL 50 has been a staple of most of my work. I hope every thing will be ok! I will do a couple of test first. Great stuff!
    Nah, don't worry about it you will be fine...Another photographer I read about ran into a similar situation and his print turned out just fine.

    http://www.anseladams.com/Articles.asp?ID=145

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    2,916

    Re: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

    Quote Originally Posted by tautatis View Post
    I am actually souping up right now, just as Jay mentioned. As Sandy says, contamination should be avoided! This evening i am going to develop a couple of sheets that i shot without my light meter. I drove for over a 120 miles only to discover i had left my light meter at home. The good thing was, the film in my holders, Efke PL 50 has been a staple of most of my work. I hope every thing will be ok! I will do a couple of test first. Great stuff!
    Think of it as an opportunity to determine just how essential a light meter is for you. A light meter would be way down on my list of essentials. I hope you find the same thing. Good luck!

  9. #9
    tgtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,588

    Re: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

    David,

    If you are learning how to mix chemicals, then learn to do it the correct way: One always tops offto the final desired volumn and not the reverse. This is something that you learn in HS chemistry. "Do it once, do it right."

    The only time that you add to the final desired volumn is when you do percentages. For example adding 10 grams to 100mL of water for a 10% solution.

    Thomas
    No art passes our conscience in the way that film does, and goes directly to our feelings, deep down into the dark rooms of our souls.
    Ingmar Bergman

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    151

    Re: Pyrocat HD mixing for the first time?

    Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    David,

    If you are learning how to mix chemicals, then learn to do it the correct way: One always tops offto the final desired volumn and not the reverse. This is something that you learn in HS chemistry. "Do it once, do it right."

    The only time that you add to the final desired volumn is when you do percentages. For example adding 10 grams to 100mL of water for a 10% solution.

    Thomas
    Thanks for the tip Thomas. I don't know what a chemistry classroom looks like for what it is worth! Got it...
    700ml's water, A then B individually then top it off with 300ml's water. Done.
    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Time for Acros in pyrocat HD and Jobo
    By chris6869 in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-Feb-2012, 19:02
  2. Precautions when mixing and using Pyrocat-HD
    By G Benaim in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-Jul-2007, 12:23
  3. Pyrocat HD in Glycol, Step bt Step Mixing Instructions
    By Andre Noble in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 23-Jun-2006, 05:06
  4. long time listener, first time caller
    By James O. Kenney in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2005, 15:02
  5. Mixing Pyrocat-HD
    By Peter Witkop in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2004, 15:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •