Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah in Early May

Utah in Early May

I never lived in Utah in early May and this Winter has been weird anyway, but where and what would you hippie tree-huggers and desert rats do if you had 3.5 days and rental car out of SLC in early May?

I'm mostly interested in landscape and Mormon weirdness, not girls.

Drew Wiley

Re: Utah in Early May

You'll need to do your homework and starting dressing and talking like a hippie
    (the last we had in this neighborhood were caught and taxidermied for the Smithsonian -
    you could do some research there). Tie die clothing mandatory. Then show up unannounced somewhere like Colorado City with a video camera and bogus FBI badge
    hanging from your bead necklace.

Frank, 3.5 days barely scratches the surface of Utah. Landscape wise you can do the predictable, the national parks, or you could do shooting around the great salt lake and bonneville (wendover) , I have found the area south of salt lake, Utah lake area, to be quite photogenic. Then there's the areas west of salt lake city in the Wasatch mountains to be interesting and even going well north of SLC into lower idaho or south west wyoming. Way too many choices and too short a stay.

OH I know but baby steps.... ;-)

I'd like to go out around the Lakes I think, But revisiting Alta would be interesting since it is a low snow year and it may even be patchy by then. Try to get up really early and be out before dawn to 9am or so, then the same pattern in the evening, so some scouting and notes are nice. Although I would shoot a backlit or Noontime photo without hesitation....

Depending on the ground clearance of the rental I would think of driving to the spiral jetty? It is a weird landscape!

Also, I've been thinking alot about how to take pictures in the cottonwood canyons so I am really interested in how things go for you.

North of SLC:
    Antelope Island.
    Spiral Jetty. They've been maintaining the road recently so a rental wouldn't be a problem.
    Bear Lake. Unusual blue color for a fresh water lake.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sprl.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	71485

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I'm mostly interested in landscape and Mormon weirdness, not girls.
    I wouldn't be so quick to discount Mormon girl weirdness.

ROL... REALLY?... now you have my girl-meter peaked!!

Mormon girls are pretty hot and also predominately blonde-haired, blue-eyed, bikini loving all-American types and oftentimes rebellious. I lived there when I was 20. It was fun as long as you didn't try to marry them, which I had no intention of. I was an eeyyyyeetalian from New York City, never mind if I drove a F-100 and I grew up on a farm 350 miles Upstate and hadn't even visited the city yet (which in 1980 was a scary place, we heard horror stories, lol).

OMG... This semi-old geezer needs to move there while his developing tube still works.