Thread: Durst Laborator 138S value?

Durst Laborator 138S value?

I have a Durst Laborator 138S. A bit dusty but in good shape except for one of 240 condensors is cracked on one of the corners. Anyone have an idea of what the value would be? I don't know if it is wishful thinking that I could trade it for an 8x10 setup.

Re: Durst Laborator 138S value?

I paid about $500 for mine,about a year ago. Came with 2 so,so lens, the condensers for 5x7 and another for 4x5. The easel platform did not work great but all in all pretty clean unit. Got it local from Craig s list. Selling local or pick up only would save money and a big hassle.

Mike

I paid $400 for mine about 2 years ago. Came with one 240mm lens. 3 neg carriers. 3 of the fancy globe light bulbs.

6 condensers and a water temperature control panel. Had to drive 300 miles round trip to get it though. Still worth it to me.

Terry

I got mine for around $500 with condensers and lenses. It's a wonderful enlarger.

Drew Wiley

They are all over the map in value depending on condition and accessories, all the way from zero to ten grand or more. Sounds like your is somewhat toward the lower end. But
    these do have a strong enough chassis to accommodate an 8X10 cold light head. It would
    have to be custom built.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    They are all over the map in value depending on condition and accessories, all the way from zero to ten grand or more. ....
    True - I have four - all given to me as presents..... (no one wants them here in DK it seems..)

A prospective buyer will consider the total cost to him, that is the purchase price of the enlarger and the expense of transporting it from your location to his.

With an enlarger as large and heavy as the 138, the amount a buyer might consider paying will decrease with his distance from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    With an enlarger as large and heavy as the 138, the amount a buyer might consider paying will decrease with his distance from you.
    The 138 is nothing compared to the 184 10x10. I hauled one out of my basement two weeks ago and even in two pieces it was a bitch.

I also paid $500 for mine, set up for 5x7 with the colorhead & a couple of lensboards. They come apart really easily & can be manhandled by one person. Love the enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    A prospective buyer will consider the total cost to him, that is the purchase price of the enlarger and the expense of transporting it from your location to his.

Absoutely, one should consider total cost...

However given their original cost, the number produced was likely much smaller than the demand would be otherwise. It has only been with the demise of many pro photo labs that we are discussing such low prices on what once was extremely expensive and quality built equipment.

I was more than happy to dirve the 3 to 4 hours to Detroit and back (with my brother's help and pick up truck) to retrieve my L184 for so little money (thanks again Joe). It took some time and additional money to get all the bits I needed, but nonetheless I am pleased with it.

That said, it still has a market value of well under $1000, as there are only so many people with the desire, the money, and the darkroom real estate (and head room)...