Thread: exposed film carrier

exposed film carrier

Does anyone know of a light tight exposed 4x5 carrier? I plan a trip abroad and want a way to transport exposed film around (rather than an old film box), including through security.

Thanks.

Alexis

Re: exposed film carrier

There was talk of this a year or so ago on the forum as to someone overseas making them out of aluminum. Security would have a field day with it. What don't you like about film boxes?

Seems like a bad idea. At least if it's in a film box it'll look like film. I use black plastic film bags from Freestyle for an extra measure of protection and to help avoid having the film slide around and get scratched.

I've transported exposed and undeveloped film in filmholders and in film boxes - no problems in Europe anyway. I keep them in my carry-on luggage just let them go through the (carry-on) scanner. Three to five passes (and even up to seven or eight) have been no problem.

That would be my recommendation.

Best,

Doremus

Thanks. I have no problem with boxes, I just wondered if there was something better. I'll look on Freestyle for the bags.

Film is relatively safe from x-rays themselves, especially asa 100 or less. Even x-ray film is not much exposed by the x-ray radiation. What's more of a problem is the secondaries, the radiation induced from other material by the high energy ("ionizing") stuff. In the case of medical x-rays, the phosphor screens produce green or blue light. Your dirty underwear and socks won't fluoresce much, but an aluminum box might kick off some alpha or beta particle that might be more of a hazard.

I worry more about mechanical trauma or the random antisocial thug/idiot that is occasionally attracted to security work.
    Scott
    lungehphoto.com
    http://lungehphoto.com

[QUOTE

I worry more about mechanical trauma or the random antisocial thug/idiot that is occasionally attracted to security work.[/QUOTE]

you mean most of them.

I try to be careful with the boxes, but they're pretty tough. I do check them over before using them. And I tend to bring some extras when I travel. I pack the extras (empty, of course) in my checked bags between clothes for padding.

I figure the bags just offer a bit of extra insurance. They're not light-tight on their own since they're not sealed or anything, but if a corner of the box should get dinged they may prevent fogging. They also prevent the film from sliding around and getting scratched up. since it's a snug fit. Knock on wood, I've never had problems traveling this way with film.

Since I can never find them on the site without looking at my order history, this is what I use inside my boxes:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/4135-B...or-Mailer-4x5?

They're really bigger than 4x5. The long side of the film goes across the short side of the bag, if that makes sense. So there is a big flap to fold over. The resulting package fits snugly into a 4x5 box. I have no problem fitting 50 sheets of Portra into the Kodak 10-sheet boxes.

Two summers ago, I traveled with 200 sheets of Shanghai 100 (B&W film) in a large film box.
    I didn't use a black film bag, I just emptied the 25-sheet boxes into the bigger box, and taped it shut.
    The film also went through scanners at four different airports that summer, and it all came out just perfectly.
    Maybe I got lucky, but the scanners aren't as bad on film as we might think, and the boxes are probably better protection than we might think.

In any case, this summer, I'll use the bags, as I'll be bringing some colour film; I'm also a little less reckless

I picked up some film protector bags from freestylephoto with an online coupon I found an they were $18. I've used them on 2 recent trips and PERFECT. It was an easy alternative to boxes.