Thread: 8x10 plate camera film/plate holders

8x10 plate camera film/plate holders

I purchased a great looking empire state (plate camera) and it came with some 8x10 holders as well as a "format conversion" type holder. My question being can I use modern 8x10 film with these holders?

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks Dave.

Re: 8x10 plate camera film/plate holders

The one with the door is definitely a plate holder, but the others might be plate or film holders--it's hard to tell. If they're film holders, no problems, but if they're plate holders--you'll need the metal insert sheaths to hold sheets of film. If the holders don't have a bottom flap that flips down when the dark slide is partially removed, they're plate holders. The simplest thing is to buy some modern film holders which should fit fine in your camera back.

Thanks Barry, PM replied as well...

I have a similar 8x10 plate holder with a removable clear glass septum and a dark slide on the opposite side. It could hold paper negatives, or film for that matter. However any media will be behind the clear glass plate which would affect image quality if it's not spotlessly clean. It's possible coated glass plates could also be used. I use a small collection of standard sheet film 8x10 holders and keep this unusual holder in case I decide to try media other than regular film. I won't assume though that the plane for the sensitized media is the same distance from the front face datum of the holder as on a standard sheet film holder. I'd be wise to check with calipers before using it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    I have a similar 8x10 plate holder with a removable clear glass septum and a dark slide on the opposite side. It could hold paper negatives, or film for that matter. However any media will be behind the clear glass plate which would affect image quality if it's not spotlessly clean. It's possible coated glass plates could also be used. I use a small collection of standard sheet film 8x10 holders and keep this unusual holder in case I decide to try media other than regular film. I won't assume though that the plane for the sensitized media is the same distance from the front face datum of the holder as on a standard sheet film holder. I'd be wise to check with calipers before using it.
    Good point David

Counting from the top, the first is a plateholder, second and last are almost certainly filmholders, the third could go either way. The second and last look like the Kodak/Folmer&Schwing holders which I use; they may be marked. Look for any identification marks on them.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.