Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re: cheap 4x5 "zoom viewfinder" from the auction site.

Re: cheap 4x5 "zoom viewfinder" from the auction site.

Does anybody have any experience with these cheapo zoom viewfinders? Are they any good? Reliable for framing at the claimed focal lengths?

I'm looking for viable options for my cambo wide and am coming up snake eyes. Any help would be helpful. Thanks.

- Joel
    Last edited by joelio; 13-Mar-2012 at 17:36. Reason: Typo

I picked up a variable viewfinder from a seller in Hong Kong and it looks and works fine. Seller was recommended by Daniel (guy who does Byron conversions). This seller had different models depending on the focal range one uses.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I have a feeling that the "zoom" finder that I mentioned above is of the same make as the one that you picked up. The price sure beats anything cambo related on the dreaded auction site.

Thanks for the reply!

- Joel

Mine works by twisting the front bezel and if you look at the front, you can see blades masking down. I picked up the 4x5 finder that covers 90-210 focal lengths. I haven't had a chance to test it's accuracy to my lenses but I'm using it for previewing compositions so 100% accuracy is not that important for me. I can look up the seller and send you a pm to see if it's the same person or not.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Mine works by twisting the front bezel and if you look at the front, you can see blades masking down. I picked up the 4x5 finder that covers 90-210 focal lengths. I haven't had a chance to test it's accuracy to my lenses but I'm using it for previewing compositions so 100% accuracy is not that important for me. I can look up the seller and send you a pm to see if it's the same person or not.
    I would definitely appreciate a PM with the seller info. Thanks.

If you are going to talk about something on the "Auction site" it would be nice to give a link...so easy to see what you are referring too.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post
    If you are going to talk about something on the "Auction site" it would be nice to give a link...so easy to see what you are referring too.
    Sounds good to me. Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Zoom-Vie...item3efff4188a

I have been using that exact one for a year or two - works reasonably well.

I purchased one yesterday and am looking forward to playing with it soon. If it is even relatively accurate for framing purposes it will make life a heck of lot easier - no more yanking the camera and reflex-viewer out for simple composition checks...errr, at least less of that.

People in NYC get very chatty when they see a large format camera. When those same people see me looking through a detached viewfinder they will probably assume that I am just another nutjob.

"People in NYC get very chatty when they see a large format camera. When those same people see me looking through a detached viewfinder they will probably assume that I am just another nutjob. "

I love this statement joelio! Now if I could just get the local police to think I'm a nutjob and leave me alone I might purchase one too...
    -Gerry
    one does not photograph something simply for “what it is”, but “for what else it is”. Minor White

http://gerrymeekins.com