Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoot Report | Card

Shoot Report | Card

As a mountain photographer it's quite difficult for me to write down every data of my shoot. Most of the time i'm in unconfortable situations, maybe on a narrow ledge, close to a cliffhedge and so on. So instead of writing half of those data on a moleskine or trying to remember them ( very difficult to remember everything ) I decided to put all my "LF World" on a 4x5" card. This card.
    Each time I'll take a photograph i just have to put an X on every data related to that shoot.

I think this card is simple and intelligible by all...
    I put every possible option on it: all the lenses I have, all the film I use and so on
    Depending on the case i will mark my choices.

For example
    Code is the "name" of the negative to find it quickly if i need to reprint a photo or whatever
    ZS = Y/N it means if I would use zone system or not
    If YES I will complete the zs data ( S for shadows L for Lights) and DEV Data and Scale
    If Not i will just mark the M for Medium exposure and write only the EV on M__

Once in the darkroom i 'll complete the card with some print notes
    At the very end i will put the negative in the negative sleeve with its own card on it ( the sleeve); that's why is the same size: 4x5")

I think could be a handy method
    Hope you like it
    Next weekend i'll try it for the first time
    I hope it works since i've asked my printing house to print 100 copies of it... :-))

Ciao!
    Alberto

Alberto Bregani | Mountain Photographer
    My starting page
    http://about.me/albertobregani

Re: Shoot Report | Card

Great minds think alike... I have a very similar method.

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Yes, great minds do think alike. . . unfortunately, I've never thought of creating something like this

Alberto - are you anywhere near Asiago? That used to be my little hide-away place when I lived in Vicenza.

Cheers,

Johnny
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Nice system. Go with what works best for you.

Using a LF for 30 years and keeping notes, I find that my little water-proof surveyors notebook is all I need. I can record 6 or more set-ups on a page and my notebooks become a diary of my photographic life. I would not want to deal with individual sheets of paper. I do a little more work in that I transfer the info to the paper negative sleeve (along with development info and printing dates) rather than your system of putting the card with the negative.

Thank You all

@Johnny: since you know where is Asiago (real a nice place) i can say i'm close to it since the Group of Brenta Dolomites ( Madonna di Campiglio) is 1.30hr driving far from Trento; and Trento si about 1hr driving far from Asiago:-)
    So in 2hr,30 driving from Asiago you can get to the Dolomites. Send me an email next time you get there maybe we can meet. I live in Milan but i spend many days there.

@Vaughn: that method, those "sheets of paper" are just something to help me not to forget important things since i'm at my very first days with Large format ( i mean my very first months.. :-)

Since i'd like to prove you I'm human too... (I like to take my time, think, look around, see clouds passing by and so on..) I show one of my (many) page from my many moleskine i usually have with me to keep notes, thoughts, sketches and so on when i go shooting with my Rolleiflex. Hope you like this picture more than that previous card

My starting page

Neat idea! Thanks for the tip.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Neat idea! Thanks for the tip.
    Thanks for appreciation you're welcome
    My starting page

I've used a similar (sheet) system for many years. Specifically, I recorded GPS data long before it became easy and cheap. If you are out in (any) landscape, notes like "tree near (add town, mountain, river, road, whatever)" don't mean much if you are travelling slowly.

Michael

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I use blue low-tack paint masking tape. I write all my notes on the tape, and when both sides are exposed, I put the tape over the darkslides, too. It's easy to tell what has been exposed and what hasn't.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Hobbyist

I am writing an i-Phone / iPad app which would allow a photo to be shot, then add the data to a file associated with the shot. Data to include location, camera, film, lens, filters, exposure, etc. Much like the card. A tape on the film holder with a number could be used to associate the film and the data file.

This is just starting, still in the "learning how to write apps stage", so any ideas of what users would want is helpful. Thanks!