Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: If I had 3 weeks in the States in October ...

Re: If I had 3 weeks in the States in October ...

Wow. Lots of new replies!

Thanks again for all the tips everyone. I have been really busy trying to get stuff finished before we head off and so haven't been checking in here so regularly. I appreciate everyone's thoughts. It's amazing how different people are in their reactions to the idea of a crazy high-stakes blast through some of the world's most beautiful landscapes! Yes - it's going to be intense. Yes - I'm going to see a lot of windscreen. Yes - I wish I had 12 months. But we are going to love it.

The 4x5 is definitely coming. On its tripod. I always carry all my stuff on my back anyway. While I understand I will have very limited time to make it all work out - I also find that just working with the 4x5 makes me connect better with the landscape and my surroundings.

The last thing I want as a memory is a family happy-snap in front of the tunnel view! I'd rather be able to remember wishing the light had changed! Do I expect to come home with a bunch of masterpieces? Nope. Do I expect to have a blast trying to get something I'm happy to include my next show? Yep.

This is actually the way I work here at home as well. I take 3 to 4 weeks (sometime 3 days!) away from my other work to drive the length of this continent visiting many places for just a few days each. My last trip was around 6000km. At each location I work hard to get my head around the landscape as quickly as I can and to tap into my reaction to it. Then I get out of bed at 4am - hike like mad and shoot it. And I do it again the next day.

Anywayz. We leave next Friday. Fully pumped for it. Except for driving on the wrong side of the road. That I'm nervous as hell about. Oh - and getting my film through US customs...

:-)

You'll have a great time. I love that you're excited about coming here and seeing some of our western states. I'm often disappointed by how few Americans seem to care about those places so I'm more than happy to welcome somebody from halfway across the world to see it.

While you're in Los Angeles, have you considered visiting the Getty museum? It only costs a parking fee of 7 or $8 and is really a wonderful place.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher D. Keth View Post
    You'll have a great time. I love that you're excited about coming here and seeing some of our western states. I'm often disappointed by how few Americans seem to care about those places so I'm more than happy to welcome somebody from halfway across the world to see it.

While you're in Los Angeles, have you considered visiting the Getty museum? It only costs a parking fee of 7 or $8 and is really a wonderful place.
    Thanks Christopher.
    Yes. I am excited. Pumped actually. Doing another 10km training hike with the 4x5 on my back tomorrow.
    I have a couple days in LA at the end of the trip so will see if I can make some time for the Getty. Thanks for the tip!

Hi,

My wife and I did something very similar to what you are planning in June of this year;

Our route was.

Fly into las Vegas stop 1 night

Drive to Zion stop 1 night Drive to Bryce stop 1 night Drive to Lake Powell stop 2 nights

Drive to monument Valley stop 2 nights, Drive to Grand Canyon stop 3 nights.

Drive to Sequioa Nat Park 3 nights to get there.

Yosemite 4 nights.

If we were doing it again I would make some changes. I would increase our stay in Zion, we only had time for a shuttle bus tour of the canyon. It looks superb for photography but I didn't get anything worthwhile.

Bryce and Lake Powell I could happily miss out. Monument valley is definitely worth a visit for at least 2 nights.

Ou 3 nights in the Grand Canyon area could have been reduced. Photos of the canyon I thought became repetitive. Definitely try to be in position for sunrise or sunset.

Sequoia: I've seen it, I wouldn't go back.

Yosemite. I would like to sell up and move there. I could spend all of a 3 week holiday there, it is outstanding.

The weather we had was unbroken sunshine which was quite challenging from the photography perspective. October should be much better.

Hope you enjoy it.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the boatman View Post
    The weather we had was unbroken sunshine which was quite challenging from the photography perspective.
    First time I've ever heard THAT complaint. Oh -- you're from Scotland!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

my favorite place to be in October is the great smokey mountain national park, really beautiful up there. close to home too.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    my favorite place to be in October is the great smokey mountain national park, really beautiful up there. close to home too.
    +1 it's a great photo trip I'd like to do someday then too.

Southwest Colorado in mid-October is good too. I find the desert and Yosemite overdone, not that you might do something different but it's hard.

Kevin Kolosky

Having also driven all over the west and to many of the National Parks already mentioned, and thinking about your available time, and thinking about the distances, and thinking about your wife and daughter, my suggestion would be to slow down a bit from what most have recommended. If you go to all of these places you will certainly see them, but you won't be able to really look at them.

And is it mountains and trees and lakes that you mostly want to look at and photograph?

I think for a two or three week trip, and considering that you want to go to LA for a few days, etc., I would pick no more than three main places that were in close proximity to each other and go really look at those.

And I would make it a point to try and travel on older highways rather than freeways, and even small roads. And I would try to stay in small towns. That way you will see America.

Preston Birdwell

I am in agreement with Kevin, here. You will be looking a lot and not really seeing the countryside.

"And I would make it a point to try and travel on older highways rather than freeways, and even small roads. And I would try to stay in small towns. That way you will see America. "
    Sage advice, in my opinion.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Some of the most beautiful Autumn light in North America, in my humble opinion, is the redwoods of Humboldt and Del Norte counties on the Northern California Coast. If yu are lucky enough to encounter some early storms, the light just after one of these is really divine