Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens advise for Grand Circle Tour

Lens advise for Grand Circle Tour

Will stay 8 days at Vegas, Zion Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Vally, Horseshoe Band, Lake Powell, Antelope, Grand Canyon. Will bring light weight 4X5 woodfield. I have 65, 75, 90, 135, 150, 180, 210, etc. I don't want to bring too much lens and want limited to two, max three lenses. I never go there before and hope to get advise for those been there. I also bring alone with Olympus E-1 digital system.
    Thanks, Kan

Re: Lens advise for Grand Circle Tour

90, 150, 210

Perhaps 90-180-240, just for the wider vistas of the SW?

I'm a wide freak, especially when I can get close to formations to exaggerate perspective. I would bring a 65, a 90, and my longest lens.

But working fast from the car and not so close, I would bring a 90, a 120/121, and my longest lens. The 135 in your list would work for that middle size.

My longest lens for 4x5 is 12", so at twice normal it's not really all that long. But bring something like that--you'll use it.

Rick "who has spent happy weeks in these areas on foot with a 35mm camera and an 18-28 zoom, or a 24 prime, or a 45 prime on 6x6 format" Denney

Bring the 65 or 75 in addition to a "normal" 3 lens kit.
    Peter Y.

I’m going to [t, u, v, w, x, y, and z] for 8 days – which 2 or 3 lenses [I have a, b, c, d, e, f, g] should I bring?

My apologies, but I just have to add a little more sarcasm in the interest of good, clean fun , so here’s more specific advice: Antelope Canyon has no shots for a 150 or 210, but any of your other lenses – in that particular canyon, mind you – will work. Also, be aware that Lake Powell (and Bryce) work w/ no lenses except the 75 and 90, so be sure to bring them if those two places are among your favorite destinations. Finally, I don’t see any place you’ve listed that will work very well w/ the 135 (and probably not the 65 either), so you can feel safe about eliminating those lenses from your consideration altogether. (However, if you can squeeze Grand Gulch into your itinerary, the 135 would become a “must have” lens.)

Final note: Can you rent a 300? That’s really the only vital lens to have for Horseshoe Bend.

Now, on to film choices, and let’s not forget the correct tripod...

IDK -- I found one spot down in Bryce Canyon that a 135mm may work.

But at least I know why my photos in Antelope Canyon back in 1985 did not work -- I was using my 150mm on the 4x5...what an idiot I am!

Thanks all for the warm reply. When I buy my 65mm SA, I want to use for the Horseshoe Band, but I don't have center filter. For my 75mm Nikon, I can use without center filter. I'm a wide angle person, so I hope to bring 75mm and 90mm SA. The last one still not make yet. My 210mm f/5.6 is quite heavy, the 150mm and 180mm are lighter, 65mm may be too wide. I still have a few boxes of Fuji RVP 50 quickload to use. Sure I will bring lupe,tripod and dark cloth Too.

I'm at the Grand Canyon and off into Vegas tomorrow to complete the Grand Circle. In Australia where I am from I shoot mostly very wide..58 and 75. I bought my 58, 75, 150 and 300 on this trip. Of the 160 frames I shot only about 3 were the 58, all in Zion. The 75 got a good look in. The 150 (which I never use at home and nearly didn't bring) has had the most use followed not far behind by the 300 I bought specially for the trip. I missed my 90.
    I disagree with the advise on the 150 for Antelope Canyon. I was there yesterday. It was a zoo. Easily the most intense photographic experience I have ever had. My photo guide was amazing holding back about 200 people at a time while Velvia reciprocity smashed me to a 2 minute exposure! I shot the 150 a lot because it let me isolate some detail and keep the tourists out of frame. It's very weird throwing away the idea of a level camera and going off reservation. I started on the 75 but it was just too wide to deal with it. In an empty canyon wide would be great. But that is never gonna happen.
    The 150 has been the real workhorse here. At Bryce I found the 75 too wide and the 150 to long. I wished I'd had my 90 but my backpack is already 15kg!
    The 75 and 58 were fantastic at Zion in the narrows.
    I didn't shoot much at Arches - the sky was overcast and the place is a zoo. So much traffic and everything had people all over it. I did hike up nearby Negro Bill Canyon and shoot the 75 in there.
    Also Fisher Towers with the 150/300 was great for sunset if you can't face 1000 people at Delicate Arch.

Boinzo, thanks for your advise, and enjoy your trip. I will start my journey on 09 Oct, next Tuesday. Hope to have good weather