Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: If I had 3 weeks in the States in October ...

Re: If I had 3 weeks in the States in October ...

Rcoks, rocks rocks - don't forget the Sonoran desert in SW AZ - Saguaros are pretty unique after all and the snow birds won't be here until later in the year so hotels are cheap. And we need the tourist dollars!

Boinzo, It sounds like you have a terrific trip lined up. In California, I wouldn't miss the east side of the Sierras around Lone Pine. I'm also a huge fan of the southwest. I've visited Capitol Reef, Moab, Canyonlands, Escalante etc.....Besides the great National Parks though....New Mexico....Taos/Santa Fe/ The Chama River Valley are very special places...I would make every effort to make it to New Mexico...Georgia O'Keefe, Paul Strand & Laura Gilpin have shown the power of that geography...You're in for one grand voyage!

Landscape Addict

I will give you $50 to stuff me into your suitcase Stef... I will travel light.. No hammer or anything.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Boinzo,

Sounds like a great trip. Sure wish I had 3 weeks to piddle around the American west... as it is I'll just have to settle on 3hr drives to Yosemite a few times a year... ;-)

Speaking of Yosemite, I don't ever want to discourage anyone from visiting this magical place, but in reading through the comments I'm not sure anyone has touched on this. While not the worst time to visit the park, it's not the best. Early October will be fine for the crowds, but considering we're at a little more than 50% of average for snowpack, it's likely the falls will be completely dry. Fall color in the valley doesn't kick in until the end of October. So you're basically left with being awed by granite walls. Probably also blessed with blue-bird skies and very little chance of any "clearing storm" conditions. Having said that, I agree with Brian or some others HIGHLY recommending the Tioga pass to Mono Lake and continuing on down 395 as a must do (if doing the Yosemite thing.) Early October there's a better chance of Tioga still being open - however it's very common to have the pass shut down for hours or days and then re-open. It's all a crap shoot really that time of year. Early October is a good bet for fall color on the Eastern side. And despite the comment that motel rooms are easy to get in Lee Vining in early October.... I would disagree and make your reservations soon. Basing one or two nights in Lee Vining, Mammoth, Bishop or Lone Pine would be a wonderful segment to your trip. Mono Lake, Bodie State Park (ghost town if you like that kind of stuff - great photo ops,) Alabama Hills, The White Mountains(Bristlecon,) Whitney and all the canyons up and down the East side (Starting up north, Virginia Lakes, Lundy, Lee Vining, June Lake Loop, Convict Lake, Mammoth area, Tom's Place/Rock Creek, McGee Creek, Bishop Creek, South, North and Sabrina Lakes... did I miss any?)

Anyway, back to Yosemite. If you've never been and it's on your "list," then certainly go. It just won't be at it's best in early October. Oh, for lodging just outside the park on HW 140, I would definitely recommend the Yosemite View Lodge, right on the edge of the park boundary and there is also the Cedar Lodge. Shouldn't have any trouble getting rooms there.

Have a great trip whatever you decide on.

Lon

I think everyone has covered the California-Arid Red Rock Southwest, etc. Easily a summer's worth. October can get dicey with elevation gain. However, any snow will come and go that thime of year.
    If you want a change from all the rocks and canyons, the Canadian Rockies are the real mountains in North America. The U.S. Rockies are just a preview for Canada. Banff, Jasper, Mt. Robson, etc. are world class mountain scenery parks.
    Any day spent in Grand Teton National Park is a great day. Yellowstone should not be missed if you can get there.
    On the other hand, 3-4 weeks in California & Utah would be awesome. Rick & I will get back there someday.

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

i spent 4 weeks in utah (moab, island in teh sky, zion, bryce etc) and the grand canyon. not enough time. lots of driving. you will need WAY more time of WAY less stops to do anything but get "wind screen" time.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Everybody keeps treating the OP's trip like its a photography business trip. People often go places that are well-photographed precisely because they are awesome enough to make people want to photograph them. There are spectacular mountains on all continents, but few places anywhere as awesome--in person--as the Colorado Plateau, whether or not one takes pictures.

Rick "just go" Denney

Thanks for the post Rick. It strikes a chord. I am sitting here reading "Photographing the South West" as recommended in this thread (thx for the tips guys, awesome book!) and what you have just said is precisely what I am thinking. Laurent talks about committed nature photographers being people who would do the hike whether they had a camera or not. My family and I want to see these places. We would do the hikes anyway. I want to photograph them within the obvious and many constraints I have (not the least of which is ability). This means being totally aware of the compromises in time and the dissappointment of not having another day or 3 in the same place.
    I completely recognize that I will only be barely scratching the surface of what could be achieved if I had 2 or 3 months for the trip. So the photography while not completely incidental to the trip is not the be all and end all. I'm treating it a little like a location scout, an attempt to discover the bits I want to spend more extended time in next trip!
    There will be more trips. Especially if I can sell some work. They will definitely include Yellowstone, Canada and many other locations.
    Also.We are Australian. We are used to driving a long way. It comes with the continent. We regularly jump in our car and drive 3 or 4 hours for a weekend away.
    I really appreciate all the suggestions and information that has been offered. It's helped a great deal in formulating a plan and doing it with my eyes open. Things are pretty locked in now. So anyone wanting to hook up in Zion around Sept 20 to show me around....?
    Last edited by Boinzo; 13-Apr-2012 at 16:29.

Landscape Addict

Stef - Give me plenty of warning before you head that way again and I'll make sure I can make it too... Bit of an expedition!

Being Aussie definitely makes big drives seem easier. I've driven 1000kms across the kimberleys in one day to shoot Lake Argyle for sunrise, then Cable Beach in Broome sunset.. Its a tough drive but not insurmountable.. driving 3 or 4 hours a day for an Aussie (especially an Aussie landscape photographer) is no big deal at all.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by alexn View Post
    Being Aussie definitely makes big drives seem easier. I've driven 1000kms across the kimberleys in one day to shoot Lake Argyle for sunrise, then Cable Beach in Broome sunset.. Its a tough drive but not insurmountable.. driving 3 or 4 hours a day for an Aussie (especially an Aussie landscape photographer) is no big deal at all.
    I'm glad you mentione this. It saves me from sounding like a weakling. I was thinking the itinerary was quite aggressive. When I was much younger I'd try that, but not any more. I'd be tired after three days of that pace. Maybe I am a weakling.