Quote Originally Posted by Boinzo View Post
HAHA!Seriously though - we want to go South-West as much as anything because we've never seen some of those things. It's easy to think the Australian landscape is similar - I'm not sure it actually is. Coastal - yeah sure but we are a whole lot flatter than you guys. Our biggest canyon is pretty much tiny. Your parachute wouldn't open before you hit the bottom. But we do have a nice big rock. Of course the Kimberley region of North West Oz is amazing - and we haven't got up there yet (it's on the to do soon list as well). The landscape here is more wind carved - yours is more water I think?
On U.S. 6, you won't have to worry about driving on the wrong side of the road. Last time I drove that stretch (dubbed, "the loneliest highway in America"), I saw more fighter planes (they train in that area) than cars. Think, oh, Nullarbor Plain with a mountain range crossing every 30 miles or so. That's what the Great Basin desert is like. (Great Basin so named because it's nestled between the western mountain ranges that include the Sierra Nevada and the more central mountain Rockies range. The locals call it the Intermountain West.

You are right that there are few places on Earth like the Colorado Plateau that covers southern Utah, northern Arizona, and the adjacent corners of Colorado and New Mexico. You will not be disappointed by spending time there.

Rick "thinking you'll have a hard time distinguishing between what is wind-carved and water-carved" Denney