Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first large format camera

first large format camera

Thinking of getting Toyo 45CF. Is this a good newbi camera? Drawbacks? Pluses?

Thanks ClintBob

Get a 20x24 inch camera then you won't need to keep upgrading!!!

I considered this camera when I wanted a field camera, but none of the local stores that sell LF equipment (I know of 2 within 50 miles) had one to see. I've seen a couple of reports that opine the CF's metal fittings are a bit flimsy compared to Toyo's other cameras, and those persons were concerned about durability of the metal clips and such. As noted, I can't speak from experience but am only repeating. For myself, I settled on a Tachihara (my second LF camera) and am thrilled with it.

I was quite disappointed when this camera came out as I thought it might be the new generation of lightweight technical field cameras I was waiting for. But as far as I can tell it has no back movements which ruled it out for me. There seemed also to be some production issues but I do not know whether these were overcome.

You can still get a new Linhof Kardan M for $1000.00 or less.

There were quite some stirr when this one appeared. Look at : http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003xHV for a beginning. If You are quite sure you need/want a field-type camera, probably You ought to look for the metal fields of Toyo, Wista, early linhof tech's or super graphics which now & then all can be found in the $$ 300 range for a user camera. However, being a monorail-user, I would advice You to have a look on those before diciding (if You have not absolutely decided). least expensive & stable cameras goes for LESS than the field cameras: Calumet CC400/Burke & James Saturn/Kodak Master View etc. all is available at below $$ 200 w/lens on e bay now & then. However - a $$ 4-500 Sinar Norma will give You another world of presision & stability as well as access to the biggest LF system existing.

Thinking of getting Toyo 45CF. Is this a good newbi camera? Drawbacks? Pluses? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Before you buy a camera I recommend reading some of the free articles on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

Getting Started in Large Format and 4x5 Cameras Priced Less Than 1200.00

On the home page click Free Articles on the menu bar.

Here are some books that might be helpful

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone, Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga, and Using the View Camera that I wrote for Amphoto

If you have any more questions I will be happy to answer them.

I would stay away from any of the older Graphic cameras (limited movemnts and extension).

steve simmons www.viewcamerra.com

I think the Toyo CF is junk.

I think a first LF camera should be considered temporary, a means of finding out what you need and don't need, what you like and dislike, just what it takes to fit your personality and photographing preferences. If it should turn out that you like it enough to keep it, that's a bonus.

I think the wooden B&J View can be a good starter camera if you can find one in good condition complete with extension rail (missing more often than not). The monorails mentioned by Tor Kviljo are good, too, the main idea being that these cameras provide the opportunity of trying out all the movements, and have a long enough extension to make full use of lenses in the 203 to 250mm range that I think good choices for a first lens.

Steve Simmons has provided some excellent advice for free. Much more of his advice is available for little money. Buying his book, or one of the others mentioned, would be very worthwhile. Books are cheaper than cameras. Buy the inexpensive item first and maybe save money on the costlier one. I also like Leslie Stroebel's "View Camera Technique". It's rather expensive, but someimes shows up on eBay, or may be available from your local library.

I'll definitely also recommend you get a copy of Mr Simmons' book before you decide on anything. An excellent resource and worth every penny.