Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reciprocity failure correction for ilford fp-4 plus

Warren

Reciprocity failure correction for ilford fp-4 plus

Does anyone know of reliable reciprocity failure correction data for Ilford FP-4 Plus black and white film. There is receint (2003) data on HP-5 Plus from Howard Bond. Ilford's own data sheet, besides being too short, contends (unconvincingly) that its single correction plot applies to all its black and white films. Howard Bond did tests for HP-5 Plus, and other films, in 2003. But has anything been done since, or ever, on FP-4 Plus, which requires it more.

Additionally, does anyone have any information on development reduction to accommodate for the increased exposure given these films in reciprocity failure correction?

tnx
    Warren

Re: Reciprocity failure correction for ilford fp-4 plus

I generally use the same reciprocity numbers (based on Bond) for both FP4 and HP5. Seems to work pretty well.

Ian

For Ilford b/w films (such as FP4+), here’s a set of numbers from Steve Simmons’ Using the View Camera – a personal set that’s probably as good as anyone’s for starters. Your own personal testing is what really counts in the end, of course, so take careful field & darkroom notes!

The following numbers, Simmons explains, are often longer than those recommended by the film manufacturers. “It is far better to err slightly on the overexposure side with negative film,” he says. Well, of course, Steve. ;^)

Remember also to test for adjusted development times – the longer metered times may require reduced development times. If you know what film reciprocity does to your low and high values, you know why this is so!

Metered time (sec.) / actual time necessary (sec.)

2 / 3
    4 / 7
    8 / 19
    12 / 33
    16 / 50
    24 / 93
    32 / 145
    45 / 250
    60 / 378
    90 / 853
    120 / 1670

Warren

Thanks;
    That's the best answer I've gotten--and I've done a lot of asking.
    w

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    For Ilford b/w films (such as FP4+), here’s a set of numbers from Steve Simmons’ Using the View Camera – a personal set that’s probably as good as anyone’s for starters. Your own personal testing is what really counts in the end, of course, so take careful field & darkroom notes!

The following numbers, Simmons explains, are often longer than those recommended by the film manufacturers. “It is far better to err slightly on the overexposure side with negative film,” he says. Well, of course, Steve. ;^)

Remember also to test for adjusted development times – the longer metered times may require reduced development times. If you know what film reciprocity does to your low and high values, you know why this is so!

2 / 3
    4 / 7
    8 / 19
    12 / 33
    16 / 50
    24 / 93
    32 / 145
    45 / 250
    60 / 378
    90 / 853
    120 / 1670

Warren

What I'm beginning to find is that some people use systems other people abhor, and both seem to do ok. Sounds like a bit of personal preference. No?

Warren

I have spent several days going over those entries, and the results vary all over the lot. There's a batch of information; it's just a matter of deciding what works for you, I guess.

tnx

Michael Alpert

2 / 3
    4 / 7
    8 / 19
    12 / 33
    16 / 50
    24 / 93
    32 / 145
    45 / 250
    60 / 378
    90 / 853
    120 / 1670

My experience with this film corresponds with these numbers, though when making a still-life photograph, I increase the time (bellows factor). I also increase the time when the subject were dark and I want to insure that I hold the shadow detail. I often rate the film at 100 instead of 125. This is one of my favorite films; I find that a small amount of over-exposure does no harm.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by wskmosaic View Post
    What I'm beginning to find is that some people use systems other people abhor, and both seem to do ok. Sounds like a bit of personal preference. No?
    It is not necessarily personal preference. It is also due in part due to processing paradigm. Without knowing how you intend to develop, any system is only going to be a starting point.

If you have access to a Densitometer, why not do some indicative testing? Perhaps you could chose one system's recommendations and do 2 seconds, 8 seconds, 30 seconds and 2 minutes, then extrapolate the data from this spread?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Reciprocity failure can't be corrected by increasing exposure alone. Development has to be reduced to tame the increase in contrast caused by the shadows "failing" but the highlights "not failing". But what happens with roll-film and sheet film where you would prefer not to give individual development to individual frames? A different reciprocity correction chart is called for. Here's mine for mid-tone metered time versus given time:

1/1
    2/2
    4/5
    8/10
    15/22
    30/50
    60/120
    120/300

The reciprocity compensation in this list is much less than the usual figures put forward but it avoids the difficult dense negatives that result when development is not reduced. The photographs that result tend to have somewhat empty shadows but I contend that empty shadows are logically consistent with the experience of looking into dark places. I would rather show the darkness than compensate it away.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".