Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large wet plate video

Re: Large wet plate video

Its $500 a shot because he wastes a few. Maybe 3 to a keeper, or something like that.

I saw this a couple days ago and while the images look great, there's something about it that doesn't click.
    I don't like the way it is presented, the way of life thing seems fake to me. I am left with the feeling something is being sold to me.

If I am not mistaken, he is a commercial photographer doing campaigns for Vans. Being a poor man, I've always felt funny about people who can spend that amount of cash.
    Again, the prints are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    I've always felt funny about people who can spend that amount of cash.
    It's about giving everything for a dream. This film is not photography related, but has the same spirit:

10mph. A trip across the US on a Segway scooter, award winning documentary. And yes, this is a long film.
    https://www.youtube.com/movie?v=DdR4...feature=relmfu

This appeared to me to be an ego piece with all of the "look how hard it is" statements and the existential angst. The $500 figure was pulled out of his a$$ to make it all sound so impressive.

I agree with Frank above. Banal.

Andi Heuser

These guys produce something and promote themselves - what's wrong with that?
    Of course that's a promotional video - did you expect a documentation about some
    egoless saints and art geniuses ?

I hope that they do not harm the environment.
    In the comments one said it's only water that's poured on the floor - well, they had their protection masks on while doing that, maybe that's necessary?
    I'm not a wetplate expert.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Fada View Post
    This appeared to me to be an ego piece with all of the "look how hard it is" statements and the existential angst. The $500 figure was pulled out of his a$$ to make it all sound so impressive.

I agree with Frank above. Banal.
    I don't understand this type of attitude when referring to someone else's work. Why does it bother you? You can look the other way and pretend it doesn't exist. The world is large enough to do that. Maybe it is that he has the courage and the strong will that many of us would love to have and set forth in pursuit of what we love? I shoot myself collodion, and it IS difficult, unpredictable, very technical, requiring lots of manual skills, and a sense of smell to know when and how. And the process itself needs no verbal publicity to be impressive. It is already is. Why do you shoot large format if not because it is a way of creating "impressions"?
    Sergio

My website

Quote Originally Posted by sergiob View Post
    I don't understand this type of attitude when referring to someone else's work. Why does it bother you? You can look the other way and pretend it doesn't exist. The world is large enough to do that. Maybe it is that he has the courage and the strong will that many of us would love to have and set forth in pursuit of what we love? I shoot myself collodion, and it IS difficult, unpredictable, very technical, requiring lots of manual skills, and a sense of smell to know when and how. And the process itself needs no verbal publicity to be impressive. It is already is. Why do you shoot large format if not because it is a way of creating "impressions"?
    My comment had nothing to do with his work which looked to be nice from the very little we see in the video. I know when someone is using b.s. to sell me something. There are a lot of great wetplaters out there and none of them have produced self made drivel like this. Of course this is all my opinion which you are free to ignore.

I had the opportunity to assist a friend in making 20" x24" 'tins' (aluminum, actually) at John Coffer's a few years ago, and he estimated that it was costing him $10 a pop.

I think the respirators were a bit much, but if were using cadmium bromide, it isn't a bad idea. Everyone freaks over cyanide, but some of the other chems used in the darkroom are - in my opinion - almost more dangerous as they affect us more slowly, don't stink, and don't have the 'hype factor.' Glacial acetic acid is the most noxious and unpleasant IMHO, if not as deadly.

Btw, I don't think that the chemicals used in wet plate are terribly harmful to the environment. In such small quantities, I can't see any major catastrophes on the horizon. There are more important environmental concerns, I am sure. Obviously, if one is using cyanide, it has to be used in a very controlled manner. The same for collodion. Really the only thing that gets sloshed around is developer, which is most often just iron (ferrous sulphate), acetic acid (I have used vinegar in a pinch), and sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Petzval Paul View Post
    I had the opportunity to assist a friend in making 20" x24" 'tins' (aluminum, actually) at John Coffer's a few years ago, and he estimated that it was costing him $10 a pop.

I think the respirators were a bit much, but if were using cadmium bromide, it isn't a bad idea. Everyone freaks over cyanide, but some of the other chems used in the darkroom are - in my opinion - almost more dangerous as they affect us more slowly, don't stink, and don't have the 'hype factor.' Glacial acetic acid is the most noxious and unpleasant IMHO, if not as deadly.

Btw, I don't think that the chemicals used in wet plate are terribly harmful to the environment. In such small quantities, I can't see any major catastrophes on the horizon. There are more important environmental concerns, I am sure. Obviously, if one is using cyanide, it has to be used in a very controlled manner. The same for collodion. Really the only thing that gets sloshed around is developer, which is most often just iron (ferrous sulphate), acetic acid (I have used vinegar in a pinch), and sugar.
    +1

That is a more realistic "per exposure" cost in my experience.

I've also never felt the need to use respirators at the shooting stage. When mixing the ether or cadmium bromide or potassium cyanide, fair enough. Once they're diluted and in solution I don't fret it - then again I'm not cooped up in a van with my entire supply of chemicals. Would be sensible to be using goggles though - a splash of kcn or silver nitrate in the eye is a lot worse than a breath of glacial acetic acid.