Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Navajo guides in Navajo Monument Valley

Navajo guides in Navajo Monument Valley

I was in Monument Valley in September 1997 with another photographer friend. We simply hired a guide for an afternoon to take just us around. He took us all over the place and stopped at all the main spots. If we wanted to shoot, we simply got out and our guide tell us the signficance of what we were shooting. So, our experience was completely positive. At the end, we gave our guide an extra tip for doing such a great job. I didn't get his name. We just made it clear what we wanted and got what we asked for.

I plan on going back next fall, and I will look up the names given above though - just in case I was unusually lucky back in '97.

And the camping facilities at Goulding do have showers.

Bruce,

I used Tito's group, Sacred Monument Tours in 2002 and was pleased with their service. Got to the Teardrop in plenty of time for great shots. I'm not sure if this number is still current but may be worth a try. 435-727-3218, cell number is 928-380-4527, email smtours@citilink.net.

James, well said.

Steve, I haven't seen Fred Cly advertised for some time now. I heard he was the best but I haven't used him.

Keep in mind, these days they get $20.00/hour per person.

good luck

In Photograph America #77, Hitchman recommends Tom Phillips (www.monumentvalley.com). He used to recommend another guide named Roy LaJollie or something like that (a LF photographer himself), but appears to have rescinded that recommendation due to no-shows.

You're right! There are not many Navajo albinos giving tours in Monument Valley. The albino brother is Harold Simpson. Your guide was very likely Richard Simpson. The brothers and other family members have a tour service called "Simpson's Trailhandlers." They have an excellent website under that name. I live in Tucson and visit Monument Valley at least once a year. I have used the Simpsons personally many times, usually with small groups of teenaged foreign exchange students. I have also sent friends and visitors to them with only great reviews. The Simpson's will handle your requests. Just be clear about your needs. They grew up in the valley and can combine landscape and culture. They are also very adaptable for first time visitors. Let them know if you want to take photos, hike, visit a hogan, etc. Richard even led my German "sons" to the top of a butte to watch the sunrise.

My father is Fred H. Cly owner of Fred's Adventure Tours.
    Fred’s been a guide in Monument Valley for over 17 years now.
    Born and raised in Monument Valley, UT.
    He is a well-known great guide & location scout.
    We have tours available daily in Monument Valley.
    Fred specializes in photography, movies, documentaries, & commercials also.

Are contact information is:

Fred's Adventure Tours
    Fred H. Cly
    p.o. box 310308
    Mexican Hat, UT 84531
    (435) 739-4294

My wife and I went to the valley about four years ago. We walked up to a vendor and they charged the two of us $60. We thot it was expensive but went anyhow. Our guide was a school teacher off season. At the time I did not have a large format camera but a 21/4. He let me take all the time I needed. We want to go again at any price.