Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Can this be true ? Jobo rises again ?

Re: Can this be true ? Jobo rises again ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Top of the page, right-hand side, "About Me" box.
    Thanks. Hiding in plain sight.

Rick "blind in one eye and can't see out the other" Denney

FWIW, I started doing 11x14 films in a paper drum and was so happy with the whole process I sold my 8x10 expert drum and do my 8x10s in paper drums too..

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    My observations are that used expert drums sell for prices higher than what used to be new retail in the U.S.

If they are still being made, why is this the case? Is it a lack of an importer? Is there a source in Europe which will ship to the U.S. for a reasonable sum?

List price in germany is over 600 dollars.

None of the major stores in the U.S. carry the expert drums, list them on their website as current models, or provide prices. A few stores have 1500 and 2500-series film tanks, but none have the expert tanks, or even list them for special order. I've looked at the list of U.S. distributors on the Jobo web page for the biggest states and the states around where I live. Big names were on that list...Calumet, Samy's, Glazer's...few list any Jobo darkroom supplies and none list the expert tanks. Most of the stores on that list are there because of picture frames.

Not profitable when import duties are paid, most resellers will not risk importing utilizing postal mail.

You can't sell what you don't offer for sale. I would suggest recruiting a couple of suppliers in the U.S. and feeding them a favorable arrangement for selling small quantities at reasonable prices, and then support them with advertising.

The last price paid by B&H and Adorama for the few remaining drums sort of screwed up the price structure, at the time Jobo had announced bankruptcy and it was feared the drums would be permanently NLA, that when some folks were selling them on Ebay for 700 plus.

Rick "only frustrated by picture of a woman making something that can't be bought new in the world's largest market" Denney
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

List price in Germany is over $600? The report above was 400 Euros including VAT. I guess I'll add that to my vacation to Germany if I ever get one, heh.

Rick "there's a big difference between $600 and 400 Euros" Denney

Thanks for that info Greg.

It seems that even though rick pointed out several short comings of the aforementioned blog\jobo seller or anyone else who sells this stuff for that mater it is not totally out of whack.

But really, the bottom line is that when the S$%T really hits the fan and one needs this part or that part, be it a tiny little piece of plastic that probably cost a fraction of a cent to produce but you can't really rig a do it yourself to do it just the same which with out your machine is not more then a nice potting soil rack - (like i did) i was really happy to find someone who had it on hand and in the US.

And we all know credit cards are the source of all evil, which is why i like paypal

HEy Greg,

Had trouble following your post. Did you add your reply into Rick's quoted text by mistake ?

thx

Fred
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

He said it was 400 euro with tax (vat). 400 euro =522.00 dollars + vat at 19% is just shy of 600. I purchase the drums as an ongoing basis, and they are available from me in the US.

I've been selling parts and Jobo service here (USA) for over two years and supporting Jobo now for seven.

I have my doubts that a brick and morter store *here* will sell Jobo becuase the discount price I pay and costs (import duties and bank fees) do not allow in the current market one to even closely approach a 100 percent mark up on the discounted price. < Which most retails stores require to see a profit and not a loss. When you factor two things: the space required to have a brick and morter store at $3,000 per month and the low amount of monthly interested in these items you will understand why most stores will not touch selling it. Then factor all the question answering that goes into selling Jobo and you would see its a big time sink. Not an easy money making business.

That said I do enjoy staying in contact with other photographers, repairing the machines, sometimes answering questions and learning from other photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    List price in Germany is over $600? The report above was 400 Euros including VAT. I guess I'll add that to my vacation to Germany if I ever get one, heh.

Rick "there's a big difference between $600 and 400 Euros" Denney
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

You got that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    HEy Greg,

Had trouble following your post. Did you add your reply into Rick's quoted text by mistake ?

thx

Fred
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Its amost impossible to run a business in the US without credit cards. Locally I see some that do not accept them. Personally I don't like the fees on credit cards but don't see PP as being earth shakingly better and especially not if you couple it with Ebay fees.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Thanks for that info Greg.

It seems that even though rick pointed out several short comings of the aforementioned blog\jobo seller or anyone else who sells this stuff for that mater it is not totally out of whack.

But really, the bottom line is that when the S$%T really hits the fan and one needs this part or that part, be it a tiny little piece of plastic that probably cost a fraction of a cent to produce but you can't really rig a do it yourself to do it just the same which with out your machine is not more then a nice potting soil rack - (like i did) i was really happy to find someone who had it on hand and in the US.

And we all know credit cards are the source of all evil, which is why i like paypal
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

If you use a fully loaded drum like the 3005 its best to support the arm with your other hand as you raise. At one point Jobo USA supplied a companies info in the Jobo quarterly that made a support.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Hey Bob,

I have a later serial number CPP and it turns Expert drums fine. I do however assist the lift manually and don't rely on the lift handle (which imo, is a very weak linkage) alone. There was someone on a forum, maybe here, who made a handle that fit under the drums to help in the lift, think he may have sold them on Ebay as well. I suppose someone who had the wherewithall could probably make a beefed up lift mechanism but slipping a hand under the lift bed is not a big deal to do.

Fred
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com