Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can this be true ? Jobo rises again ?

Re: Can this be true ? Jobo rises again ?

It's not just the Expert drums that will be needed, as most of us do still process 35mm and 120 film. OTOH I have a good supply of tanks and reels now and others aren't TOO bad on eBay - yet. So the biggest need is probably for the Expert drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Hey Bob,

I have a later serial number CPP and it turns Expert drums fine. I do however assist the lift manually and don't rely on the lift handle (which imo, is a very weak linkage) alone. There was someone on a forum, maybe here, who made a handle that fit under the drums to help in the lift, think he may have sold them on Ebay as well. I suppose someone who had the wherewithall could probably make a beefed up lift mechanism but slipping a hand under the lift bed is not a big deal to do.

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Fred

looking at the unit ,the handle really looks like a weak link.. An Expert drum full of chemistry is fairly heavy.

I would be interested in hearing what Greg Blank has to say about this.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Squires View Post
    Nice to hear that a new CPP-2/3 is in the works! I use a late model CPP-2 with 3005 and 3010 drums. The lift arm is really a weak point with the 3000 drums. I always lift the drum with right hand as I raise the lift with my left hand.

Anyone have a brochure or spec page they can post here?

Thanks
    I do something pretty similar with the Lift on my little CPE2, especially with bigger tanks. The small lift arm is inadequate too, plus I treat it tenderly since it's no longer made.

I'd love to have one of these but unless my CPE2 breaks it's hard for me to justify $3k for something I don't really need that badly at this time. Great news though!

Can't wait for more details on this machine. all i can say right now is Yea Ha!

The lift handle hub is pretty fragile and i am not sure it will have a new design in the new machine, seems to be the same lift.
    New lifts however have brass gears and receivers inside them, similar to those used on newer ATL machines, making the gearing smother and puts less strain on the handle.
    That said, they do still break...

This guy made/sold lift handle assist things:
    http://youtu.be/G7S2K82A_O4

As for rick denny's lament, you can find NEW Expert drums in the land of the free corporations quite easily (who's to say china isen't a bigger market anyways...???) on the sleaze bay...
    I just googled Jobo expert drum, found at least one link on the first page to a US based Jobo supplier (for those who don't trust google here is the link - http://processorparts.blogspot.com/)

Either way - Amazing news about a company thats going into production with a new film based product. Common', how often has that happened in the past 15 years?
    Stoked~looking forward~and the rest....

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    As for rick denny's lament, you can find NEW Expert drums in the land of the free corporations quite easily (who's to say china isen't a bigger market anyways...???) on the sleaze bay...
    I just googled Jobo expert drum, found at least one link on the first page to a US based Jobo supplier (for those who don't trust google here is the link - http://processorparts.blogspot.com/)
    Sorry, I was looking for a business that looks and acts like a business. The price for the 3006 they have on ebay seems to me quite a bit higher than the general retail price when these were being imported by bona fide photo stores (such as the ones listed on Jobo's web page). Maybe the factory has raised prices that much. I don't want to (and can't) pay $600 for a tank that I remember used to cost a third of that new. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

And if you want to know prices for this person's product, you are invited to contact him. You have to know the hieroglyphics, apparently, to know how to do that. Nothing on his blog posts reveal a business name, a location, an email address, or a phone number. He seems to really only have an ebay presence.

No, I doubt China is a larger market for Jobo expert tanks than the U.S., probably by an order of magnitude.

Rick "who'd like to see a little retail competition" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    I don't want to (and can't) pay $600 for a tank that I remember used to cost a third of that new.
    The Expert tank is 400€ including VAT hereabouts - I paid something like that in DM ages ago, so the price seems to have doubled over the course of fifteen or twenty years, which seems to be in proportion to the inflation-caused increase on other items that have kept their value.

The German online stores Jobo list as distributors do ship to all Europe, and you could probably negotiate shipment to the US. Done right you would be VAT exempt and save 19% off the German retail price, so you might save a bit even after shipping cost and import taxes - I would not be surprised if these unofficial US sellers get theirs exactly that way.

Rick - though most all of us film users are living in the past (or locked up in asilums) it is the age of information, where businesses have a not so straight forward store front appearance...
    That being said to each his own with online shopping.

Not saying 600$ is cheap or anything, personally i think its ridiculous to pay that much for any film processing apparatus accessory.
    But last time these were being sold on BH which was about 3 years ago (i think) they were up in the 400$ range, and in any case were only available on special order.
    Considering they sell used for about 15% less then whats new from this blog, used (sometimes in piss poor condition and for more...) on the bay site i guess you cant really expect a new drum to be cheaper in a market that has more demand the supply. And even that being said, holding any kind of stuff in stock probably raises the overheads and so on...

All that aside - that is a real source for Jobo stuff, and its in the US - i just say thanks for small pleasures....

Only time will tell what the new machine production will bring over to this side of the pond.

and BTW - i wouldent be surprised if there are more film users, Jobo users and darkrooms in china alone then there anywhere else in the world combined, especially since so much of that stuff is being made there, for internal supply most of the time, but of course, since i am not in china to confirm ill leave it at that

And if you want to know prices for this person's product, you are invited to contact him. You have to know the hieroglyphics, apparently, to know how to do that. Nothing on his blog posts reveal a business name, a location, an email address, or a phone number. He seems to really only have an ebay presence.
    from the blog front page:
    Located in MA, USA, We carry a huge in stock inventory of Jobo machines, spare parts, drums, tanks and reels. If we don't have it - we can get it! for more info, contact us at: catlabsofjp@gmail.com

To my defense, I do have several years qualification in hieroglyphic interpretation.

from the blog front page:
    Located in MA, USA, We carry a huge in stock inventory of Jobo machines, spare parts, drums, tanks and reels. If we don't have it - we can get it! for more info, contact us at: catlabsofjp@gmail.com

To my defense, I do have several years qualification in hieroglyphic interpretation.
    You'll have to show me where there was a link to the blog's front page.

I'm no luddite, and most of what I buy is done online because I live in a place where people don't make things and there are few other ways to get what I need. But even an online used camera store like KEH has a shopping cart, the ability to accept credit cards directly (rather than just using Paypal), and a phone number.

If the prices were low, one can forgive a lot of things, even selling stuff out of his living room. But this fellow looks as though he travels to Germany on business every few months, cleans out the retail stock of a camera store, and comes back with as many tanks as he can fit into his suitcase. I've bought ex-Soviet cameras from suppliers like that, but then I was paying the price this guy wants for a plastic developing tank, and I was buying a medium-format box-SLR camera with a decent lens, two interchangeable backs, and a prism finder (it even worked!).

Sevo, thanks for the current price in Germany. 400€ including 19% VAT seems to be roughly $425 VAT-free dollars at today's exchange rates. It seems he's buying them at retail and marking them up from there, when he sells them for $600. Does he honor the factory warranty?

Jobo should not stand for it if they actually want to build a market in the U.S. for their darkroom products. That's why I made the request I did. Instead, they should recruit a vendor, sell to them at a reasonable wholesale price, provide reasonable terms (as is needed when rebuilding a market in a new area), and not require order sizes that are too large. They don't list anyone on their website of U.S. "distributors" in Massachusetts that looks like this person. The lack of factory acknowledgement and the 30% markup over retail is not confidence-inspiring, but if I needed parts for a processor, I'd probably be prepared to put into any port in a storm.

Rick "who bought much of his 2500 tank stuff from Glazer's" Denney

Nothing made in the USSR, really works... its kind of an ensemble of parts put together, if they all fit - its a miracle..

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

You'll have to show me where there was a link to the blog's front page.
    Top of the page, right-hand side, "About Me" box.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Happy to see i am not the only person who noticed that..