Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can this be true ? Jobo rises again ?

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: Can this be true ? Jobo rises again ?

VIVAS !!! long live film!!!!
    through a glass darkly...

Greg- I have only used Alt2300 and Alt 3- currently using a old unit... last legs
    How does this unit compare to the two I am use to...?
    I am interested but really hesitant, as I have designs to make my own semi auto unit that uses all the tanks and reels I already have.
    Jobo really left some of us in the lurch and as I plan to continue to process well into the future I see this as hopeful news , but really doubt Jobos commitment to the end user.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Blank View Post
    Doubtful. Last new Cpp2 went for 4,000 so the new price will be? I have known this was in the works for 5-6 months but doubted they would do it. I suggested a dual voltage model so its nice my opinions hold "some" weight at first only 220V was being considered. This not the first time I saw the link posted though, this afternoon I got an email from Freestyle asking me about the unit. I would like to see a serious company like Freestyle pick up sales of the processor, hopefully I will still be able to sell parts and repair the processors.

More details:

"The processor will retail for just under GBP 2000 including VAT and the opening offer will include the free lift worth another GBP 280 with your registration.
    The first deliveries are due in the late summer when we will contact you again."

Bob,

Never used an ATL unit but have a CPP2 and I think the big difference will be the lack of automation. Someone is going to have to lift the tanks to dump and them do a manual fill. For each step in the process. Not a major thing by any stretch. If I were buying a new unit, I would probably pick up a couple of spare motors and circuit boards as well to safeguard against future eventualities. Everything else is just mechanical.

Fred
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Fred

Can you use the expert drums,, with it, I have a 16x20 drum for film as well .. how tough/robust is the lift arm mechanism??
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    Bob,

Never used an ATL unit but have a CPP2 and I think the big difference will be the lack of automation. Someone is going to have to lift the tanks to dump and them do a manual fill. For each step in the process. Not a major thing by any stretch. If I were buying a new unit, I would probably pick up a couple of spare motors and circuit boards as well to safeguard against future eventualities. Everything else is just mechanical.

Fred

I got the flier on it. Looks like the cpp processor but includes a timer. No details available on the timer. The red plastic is gone and the whole thing is black. The picture shows a lift that looks identical to the old lifts with the same arm mechanism.

The main difference is that the knobs are gone and replaced with some electronics and a few press buttons. Having used a Jobo colorline analyzer I suspect that the electronics are un-intuitive. I would have preferred the old knobs which were foolproof.

The downside of course is that the cost is $3000 and available in the UK so shipping will be costly as well.

I would be curious to know what it costs to make one. Maybe $200 max? But it is a good product.
    Last edited by jeroldharter; 4-Apr-2012 at 09:28. Reason: Typos

I think this is a great development (no pun intended). In the coming years, labs with Refremas are going to be decommissioning and it is going to be harder and harder to get development done unless you want to do it yourself. It will move to being a cottage industry, and some 16-year old kid with some money from Dad could probably set up a small side-business with a couple of Jobos and do well in a market where there is a lot of film use... especially if they do C-41 as well as B&W.

We moved to small batch processing years ago for key clients. This is indeed a good turn of events .. This time though I will buy parts and probably a second unit as a backup.
    I am looking 60 straight in the eye and my Dad unfortunately is not around to help me.
    Yes they do C41 as well as B&W

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    I think this is a great development (no pun intended). In the coming years, labs with Refremas are going to be decommissioning and it is going to be harder and harder to get development done unless you want to do it yourself. It will move to being a cottage industry, and some 16-year old kid with some money from Dad could probably set up a small side-business with a couple of Jobos and do well in a market where there is a lot of film use... especially if they do C-41 as well as B&W.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    We moved to small batch processing years ago for key clients. This is indeed a good turn of events .. This time though I will buy parts and probably a second unit as a backup.
    I am looking 60 straight in the eye and my Dad unfortunately is not around to help me.
    Yes they do C41 as well as B&W
    16, 60 or anywhere in between! :-)

Seems like a viable cottage business, at least conceptually.

Hey Bob,

I have a later serial number CPP and it turns Expert drums fine. I do however assist the lift manually and don't rely on the lift handle (which imo, is a very weak linkage) alone. There was someone on a forum, maybe here, who made a handle that fit under the drums to help in the lift, think he may have sold them on Ebay as well. I suppose someone who had the wherewithall could probably make a beefed up lift mechanism but slipping a hand under the lift bed is not a big deal to do.

Fred
    notch codes ? I only use one film...