Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Washer for Tray-Processed 4x5?

Best Washer for Tray-Processed 4x5?

What is simple, economical, and effective? (i.e. no scratches)

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: Best Washer for Tray-Processed 4x5?

I have a Gravity Works washer that's great for up to 12 negatives. It came with a home-made tray that holds 6 (I think) 5x7 negs oriented the long way. I contacted the GW folks about making a 5x7 tray as a standard product, they said it was impossible.... Nevertheless, the washer itself is nice. I like that the tray is removable, it's very easy to load and unload. And since I'm not manly enough to do more than a dozen negs at once, I don't find the capacity a limitation.

Hangers, in an inexpensive container of your choice.

I use a Gravity Works washer with the 12 sheet basket. I didn't care for the way it filled and then emptied with a siphon. I thought it used a lot of water, and that the upper 1/2 of the film wasn't under water as long as the bottom 1/2. I put a cork in the siphon tube and simply let the water overflow the top of the washer. Works great.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

+ Gravity Works

Mr. Grad beat me to it. I've washed 4x5 film, using single Kodak hangers, in a small rubber tank for over 20 years.

I used to have a Gravity Works back in the early 90s too, shame I sold all that stuff. Nobody is making anything new are they?

Not cheap but very effective are these dedicated film washers from http://www.alistairinglis.com/
    I don't have the 4x5 but have an 8x10. If i one day pick up 4x5 again i will get one for that format.

Frank,

I like my Gravity Works washer extremely well. The 12-sheet basket simply has grooves into which the film sheets slide, a lot less chance for scratches than loading them in hangers and easier too.

The washer does use a lot of water if you let it run constantly, but I simply run it till it fills and dumps a couple of times, turn off the water and let the film soak a few minutes, turn the water back on for a few cycles, back off, etc. over the course of half and hour (I use a pyro developer, so no HCA allowed).

I don't think they are made any more, but come up from time to time used, usually at much more than the original $80 price tag. Still, I'm looking for a second one.

I wish someone would start making something similar again.

Best,

Doremus

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

What about a Yankee or HP tank? The Yankee gives good results for soak-and-dump washing.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans