Thread: Caltar-S II 210mm vs. Fujinon-W 210mm

Kelly Beard

Caltar-S II 210mm vs. Fujinon-W 210mm

So........

I accidentally bought a lens I didn't need to, a Fujinon-W 210mm. I'll cut to the chase, which is the better lens? Both lenses have a max shutter speed of 1/400, the Caltar-S goes to f/45, the Fujinon-W, f/64. The Caltar-S says and looks like its multicoated, the Fujinon-W, doesn't and doesn't.
    Kelly Beard

Re: Caltar-S II 210mm vs. Fujinon-W 210mm

I'd keep the Fujinon-W.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Never used a Fujinon 210, but I have the Caltar II-S 210, and it's the sharpest lens in my collection. Even sharper than the Apo-Sironar S 150 and SS-XL 110. Bought it for about $200 on E-bay, by far the most bang for the buck I've ever got out of a lens...
    Brian Vuillemenot

I have a Calter-S ll 210mm f/5.6 lens around here. It appears to be the same lens as my Schneider Symmar-S 210mm f5.6 lens. Both lenses are indeed multicoated and labeled as such.

Brian makes a good point. I would take a few photos in duplicate, one with each lens, and see which one you like more.

I also own a Fujinon 250mm f/6.7 single coated lens. It is also sharp. If you really want to know the difference you need to do as Tony suggests and test them against each other. However, unless one is just a dud I doubt you will see any real difference in sharpness, maybe a very slight color difference.

Caltar S-II is an exceptional lens.It has a 294mm image circle, so on 4x5 you should be able to tie the camera in knots and get get adequate coverage.

The Fujinon W came in two different models. The older style has a 352mm image circle and will cover 8x10 with ease. The newer version (depending on whose reference you follow) is either 295 or 300mm. Either way, for 4x5, image circle won't be an issue. I've shot with both lenses and suspect that for B&W work, you won't be able to discern much difference. If you shoot color, the Fuji is likely to render colors slighly warm compared to the Caltar.

Do what I'm going to do this weekend. I'm taking two 150's out with my 4x5 and I'm going to shoot only with 150. Every time I set up a shot, I'm going to shoot it with both lenses. I will take copious notes and store them inside of the ziplock back for each film holder so I know what film holder went with what lens. When I get home, I am going to process each set one at a time and store the dried negatives from one lens before I even start process those from the other. That way the negatives won't get mixed up. After printing them I should know which lens to keep.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I have both 210mm Fujis -- the older one with the 352mm image circle and a newer, multi-coated one. The older lens serves as a wide angle for 8x10, the newer lens is used for about half my 4x5 photography (all B&W). The newer lens has a touch more contrast but both lenses perform brilliantly in sharpness and contrast and provide equally smooth tones. I doubt you could go wrong with either of your lens choices.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.