Thread: Howtek 4500 questions

Howtek 4500 questions

If one were to purchase a Howtek 4500, that had no software, what would be the best options for a Mac user, or would I be locked into getting a windows machine and running DPL?

Thanks,

Re: Howtek 4500 questions

If the scanner doesn't come with software or a computer, then I'd think the best way to do this would be to get a PC and DPL. My scanner came with a computer (though I ended up swapping since I happened to have a faster OS9 machine in my basement) but more importantly it came with Trident software and the required dongle to make it run.

It's good software, but if I had the cash I'd probably switch to DPL.

Personally, I'd recommend DPL. Even the ”standard” version is a tremendous bit of software. You can't create custom CMS files like you can in the Pro version, but so far I've found that I can get it pretty damn close to what I want.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    If one were to purchase a Howtek 4500, that had no software, what would be the best options for a Mac user, or would I be locked into getting a windows machine and running DPL?

Thanks,
    I'm a big fan of DPL, as most here know. I just ran 3 days straight, 57 scans, many of them 7 Gigs large. One batch.... just let it run. I was impressed that it did it without a hitch...

I would say two things. The first is that a lot of folks like SilverFast, which runs on a mac- you don't have to have a pc to run the scanner.

The second is that it isn't so bad to have another computer (a pc, for example) controlling the scanner while one does photoshop on their main machine. It separates these processes. I am also a big mac fan and dislike intensely using pc's for anything, but the mix really isn't so bad at all... As it is I find PhotoShop very buggy. When I have a scan that takes 45mins to run I don't want it interrupted... I also use the pc to run StudioPrint, which is my RIP. It is able to scan and print reliably at the same time... and I get to offload all that processing.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Thanks guys, I shied away from bidding as the seller had no drums and no software.
    The scanner sold for $499.00 :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    Thanks guys, I shied away from bidding as the seller had no drums and no software.
    The scanner sold for $499.00 :-(
    Allen, I think it was the best thing that hapened to you, haven't buyed that scanner...

I bought a Howtek 4500 about 2 years ago fot 150 Euros, wich is a ridiculous price. The scanner is in good shape, has the drum, the mounting device (i don't know the right name in english for that thing, but is where you mount the negatives or positives in the drum), the Aura software, the dongle, etc.

I haven't yet be able to run the scanner because I couldn't yet find the right SCSI board to mount in the Mac G4 that I bought specifically for the purpose. First, the G4 I bought had the 10 something operative system, so I had to make a downgrade for OS 9 something (first time in my life I had to do a downgrade). Then, the SCSI board wich was installed on the G4 wasn't the right one to "comunicate" with the 4500...

It has been a pain in the ass and time consuming "enterprise"....

My V700 is running ok, though, for about 4 years...I hope it keep running for a few years at least...

I am running my Howtek 4000 on a scsi using system 10 and silver fast, with a G4, if your having a scsi card problem I think it is not inconceivable to get a scsi firewire conversion

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

yeah I fully agree with Daniel and Lenny. I have been a fairly devout 'mac user,' however when i recently got an Aztek DPL 8000, I got a PC tower and the standard version of DPL, running win 7. Its awesome, I sometimes wonder if I couldn't get better results with the Pro version, but I have had very few issues thus far. I have learned to not overexpose my c-41 negs like I used to do (for some silly reason).

But keep in mind that I have not had any experience with other scanning software compatible with Howtek/Aztek scanners, but have had great results with DPL (standard) and c-41 negs thus far.
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Quote Originally Posted by aluncrockford View Post
    I am running my Howtek 4000 on a scsi using system 10 and silver fast, with a G4, if your having a scsi card problem I think it is not inconceivable to get a scsi firewire conversion
    Thanks for the sugestion, do you know if it's possible to run the 4500 with Silver fast?

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Sousa Dias View Post
    Thanks for the sugestion, do you know if it's possible to run the 4500 with Silver fast?
    Yes.

http://www.silverfast.com/product/Howtek/144/en.html

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon