Thread: Scanner Profiling V750 -Wofl Faust vs Hutch HCT

Scanner Profiling V750 -Wofl Faust vs Hutch HCT

Wolf Faust targets vs Hutch HCT. Are the Hutch targets really that much better? In my googling, it seems there is not much debate that the HCT targets are superior, but I can't find anything that says HOW much better?

My dilemma...cost of course. But I have the V750 which comes bundled with Monaco EZ color (now obsolete but still works) which I think will work with Faust targets. If I go the superior route and get the HCT target I will need to purchase another profiling software that can read those targets, in addition to the extra price for the target.

Anybody try both? Is there a huge difference? Anything that cannot be corrected with further editing within PS?
    I scan Velvia 4x5 scans and I am looking to reproduce those vibrant color the best I can within reason. This is for my own personal work. Noting commercial.

Thanks

Re: Scanner Profiling V750 -Wofl Faust vs Hutch HCT

You're unlikely to notice any dramatic difference between profiles generated from either targets scans. If there are differences they are slight and only raise a question how good the profiling software and target measurements were. HCT based profiles tend to be a tiny bit more warm (good for fall colors) , while IT8(WFs) on the cool side (good for grass). More accurate profiles in dark tones with HCT is a myth , in my opinion. Velvia does not have an accurate color representation to start with, leave alone the dark tones.
    You won't be able to read the targets unless you get a, discontinued now, Spectrascan T. And there is no need to. They both come with reference files which can be uploaded into the profiling software.
    Argyll is free and can do profiles from either. i1Match can do from either too but requires an i1Pro device to work. There is a difference between profiles generated by Argyll vs profiles generated by i1Match...Argyll provides a lot more flexibility in profile generating.

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    You're unlikely to notice any dramatic difference between profiles generated from either targets scans. If there are differences they are slight and only raise a question how good the profiling software and target measurements were. HCT based profiles tend to be a tiny bit more warm (good for fall colors) , while IT8(WFs) on the cool side (good for grass). More accurate profiles in dark tones with HCT is a myth , in my opinion. Velvia does not have an accurate color representation to start with, leave alone the dark tones.
    You won't be able to read the targets unless you get a, discontinued now, Spectrascan T. And there is no need to. They both come with reference files which can be uploaded into the profiling software.
    Argyll is free and can do profiles from either. i1Match can do from either too but requires an i1Pro device to work. There is a difference between profiles generated by Argyll vs profiles generated by i1Match...Argyll provides a lot more flexibility in profile generating.
    I noticed quite a difference - especially with the accuracy of colour in the shadows and highlights under strong recovery. (used on a Howtek 4500 drum scanner with velvia 50 mostly)

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

For those interested in a GUI(Mac) for Argyll CMS here is one I found. It's very simple to use, I recently purchased a Wolf Faust target for Velvia 50 but working with Argyll CMS in Terminal was like chinese for me
    manual is in spanish but it's pretty easy to use without it

http://www.jpereira.net/roughprofiler

regards
    Tom Keymeulen

Thanks for that. i just ordered some Faust targets this morning. Now I am trying to figure out a profiling solution for Mac OS. Faust recommended a a few and one that seems simplest was for PC. He then sent