All,

At the end of this month (April) I will be travelling to Ethiopia for a two week stay. I intend to take with me a Crown Graphic and a few boxes of b&w sheet film (Adox 25). I will be flying from London Heathrow to Addis Ababa and during my stay taking three internal flights.

Having read various discussion threads online, I gather that there are two ways in which it all ends badly;

1. Customs and Immigration ask to see inside the 5x4 film boxes, and i'm unable to do anything about it.
2. Having been through 5 sets of hand luggage x-ray machines my film is destroyed

Has anyone go experience of travelling with LF gear and film in country such as this, and could give me some advice. I came across one thread where the advice given was to send the film in advance by special courier...but to Ethiopia I cannot see this being 1. affordable and 2. very easy.

I hate to ask the questions, as it's a little defeatist, but should I just forget the idea, accepting that the risk is far too high, and just take my Nikon FM2 and a bunch of safely sealed 35mm film?

I look forward to your responses.

Matthew