Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: April 2012 Portraits

retrogrouchy

Re: April 2012 Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Shutter View Post
    And thank you all for your comments, I guess I'll have to get a new screen, it doesn't look oversharpened to me ^^ but then again it might be because of my terrible glasses
    Don't get a new screen; your sharpening is good and halo-free at this scale. Some monitors will apply sharpening (!) plus there are jpeg artefacts present, which is what I think may be causing people to speak of oversharpening.

Quote Originally Posted by parleton View Post
    4x5 ambrotype , Burke & James Ajax len, i should scan this as oppose to use a digital camera
    Nice. Great hat, too :-)
    Ian Land
    Photographer, Silverhill Press Editor

Website | Instagram | Silverhill Press

It actually looks like he scanned the film while it is still in a Mylar sleeve or something odd like that. I doubt my monitor is applying sharpening on its own since every other image doesn't suffer. I am saying that it doesn't look like a light leak to have a thin white line bordering a dark frame, that looks like a sharpening halo from when you over do it. Can you see the density on the film itself? I bet the scanner is doing this, probably the default setting is set to sharpen and the sleeve may make the effect worse.

Frankt, that's not what we're talking about, I'm talking about the dark line on the right side, about 6-7mm into the negative (vertical format)... And I found out the reason for it:
    it's a manufacturing error, lots of Fomapan sheet film seem to be affected, a facebook-contact of mine posted this image as a comparison:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._2644781_o.jpg

same line, same problem - same solution, I'm afraid: don't buy Fomapan

He says, "Well, they are definitely on the negatives", but I've seen stuff like that when flopping film down on the scanner and scanning it when the edges of the film lift off the glass a little. When the film's not flat, sometimes you get some reflection going on between the glass and negative, which can be dark when inverted. A glass plate over the negative, if it's not big enough could do that too if you are getting reflections coming off the finished edges and bouncing down onto the negative.

Thanks for the followup Shutter. I wouldn't put it past them to have a MFG error. I like their LF film and have a bunch in the freezer, but I like Kodak better and have more of that in the freezer, because they don't have such errors. (Ilford is quality too, but I don't want to juggle too many different films at once)

Ugh that doesn't bode well for once Kodak is gone. I've had several defects in Ilford before.

Well.. we still have wetplate photography and photographic emulsions to create our own sheet film hehe

Christoph, beautiful, especially the first one. Too bad about the mark, but lovely image.

I've never seen a defect in any film made by the big 3 (Kodak, Ilford, Fuji). I'm not claiming there's never been a defect, but I've never seen one. Every other manufacturer is a crap shoot, as far as I'm concerned, and with some, it seems my odds are less than even.