Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: April 2012 Portraits

Re: April 2012 Portraits

Three portraits I did of family a week ago. Did it with Photographic paper as negative, ISO 6.
    Took these photos with some very old paper and developed it with some dodgy chems. Graphlex 4x5, f4.5, 1/2s, ISO 6.
    I know the imperfections would bother some people but I love it. It creates effects that is unexpected and something you can never recreate with a digital camera.
    Graphlex 4x5 Camera, f4.5, 1/2s

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jack side.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	72403Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pa side.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	72404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kobus mail.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	72405

Quote Originally Posted by Stofjas View Post
    Three portraits I did of family a week ago. Did it with Photographic paper as negative, ISO 6.
    Took these photos with some very old paper and developed it with some dodgy chems. Graphlex 4x5, f4.5, 1/2s, ISO 6.
    I know the imperfections would bother some people but I love it. It creates effects that is unexpected and something you can never recreate with a digital camera.
    Graphlex 4x5 Camera, f4.5, 1/2s
    Very nice! I like the effect.

A good friend got married on Wednesday and I brought the 8x10 (Eastman View No. 2) and a 15" B&L projection Petzval along. Focusing was tricky as were the 1/4 -1/8 sec. exposure times with the Galli shutter (two 5x7 dark slides). Not one of the shots is tack sharp, but for this kind of portrait I don't think it matters. Sorry to disappoint the "sharp portrait" contingent!

Her bouquet was a bunch of bright yellow daffodils, but given the blue-sensitive nature of the film they went almost black. Whoops.

Shot on Kodak Low Contrast Aerial Duplicating Film (SO-277) exposed at EI 1.5. Processed in HC-110 dil. E for five minutes using Cibachrome drums on a non-reversing motor base.

Jonathan

Those look great, Jonathan.

Thank you, Jay. I was most proud of myself for hauling the big camera out and making it all happen in a relatively short amount of time. I think I learned that a Petzval of such shallow depth of field with no iris or stops is not the ideal choice for portraits of this kind. Next time I'll bring something I can stop down a bit and therefore use faster film, too. My friend was up for the challenge and wanted me to bring the 8x10, so I did. He's a talented photographer himself and also shoots 8x10 so he was an understanding and forgiving subject. His new wife maybe not so much!

Jonathan

EDIT: one more.

I really like that last one. I keep thinking about getting a Petzval...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

photographic paper (outdated) ilford pearl rc vc- rated ISO6 in 8x10 camera. settings were f8 and 2sec. for the "neg" then this print was made contact style from the other under the enlarger- scan of print thinking of calling it "On Display".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ondisplayweb.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	72483

Jonathan,

Another beautiful portrait. Timeless, without being nostalgic.

Jessica,

An incredibly impressive result from such a young subject, difficult pose, and long exposure. I would caution you, in the friendliest possible way, to think twice about marring such beautiful work with a title more than simply descriptive, but here I reveal a personal bias -- I also dislike very much your signature on your images. A title like the one you're considering, coupled with your ostentatious signature would make it very difficult for me to take the work seriously, and that's a shame. I think. Tasteful restraint and understatement are far too rare these days.

I stick the sig on as habit after having images stolen offline so it is a regular web posting thing for me. perhaps we are safer in this forum than on others but I had a large company do this to me- they paid for it in the end but it makes me uneasy about posting without some kind of mark - they are not on printed images (just web). what type of title would better suit? I'm not use to giving titles to my images- this is new for me.

Why do you need a title at all? Or if you feel you must, maybe a first name and date? I don't think titles generally add anything, and constrain the way the viewer relates to the image. I would rather keep the experience open-ended, and let the viewer bring all their baggage to the party.

Quote Originally Posted by jessicadittmer View Post
    I stick the sig on as habit after having images stolen offline so it is a regular web posting thing for me. perhaps we are safer in this forum than on others but I had a large company do this to me- they paid for it in the end but it makes me uneasy about posting without some kind of mark - they are not on printed images (just web). what type of title would better suit? I'm not use to giving titles to my images- this is new for me.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/