Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: April 2012 Portraits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

April 2012 Portraits

Hope no one minds me starting the April thread.

Here's an image I took last night of a friend of mine. Polaroid 900 w/ Schneider Xenotar 135mm @ f/5.6, 1/100, with flash, taken on T-Max 100 and developed for one hour in Acufine semi-stand. I believe I actually got a much faster effective film speed according to my notes; I accidentally underexposed this quite a bit.

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: April 2012 Portraits

Toyo 45CF
    Caltar II-n
    Fuji FP100C

Coco Deville by Tobias Key, on Flickr

Another one from the series I'm working on, hopefully a bit of nice weather will get this project moving now!

Chamonix 45N2 - Imagon 250 (no disc) - Efke 25

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by D-tach View Post

Chamonix 45N2 - Imagon 250 (no disc) - Efke 25

Tom
    Very nice and engaging. Of course it is strange to see man shot with diffused lens when its not romantic scene of sorts, but it adds up

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Very nice and engaging. Of course it is strange to see man shot with diffused lens when its not romantic scene of sorts, but it adds up
    I'm not sure it adds up to anything more than a personal choice, and one I'm not likely to make. I suspect these guys just like shooting with their SF lenses, without much thought to subject, or it seems so to me, and that's not meant as a criticism, just an observation that might not be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    I'm not sure it adds up to anything more than a personal choice, and one I'm not likely to make. I suspect these guys just like shooting with their SF lenses, without much thought to subject, or it seems so to me, and that's not meant as a criticism, just an observation that might not be accurate.
    I kind of disagree here. I could see male image shot with with soft focus for a few reasons in general - romanticized image (like you know.. knight in shiny armour or bridal stuff or something like that) or to soften perception in general (ok, may be a bit less pronounced softness) when shooting someone like grandfather and you trying to add this nice warmth-ish glow to image... But other than this, agreed, normally males arent good subjects for SF lenses.. We like to be rough and strong..

But it works as experiment, and not a bad one IMHO, overwise if we take away freedom to display experimental images - quite many photos in displayed threads would be subject to quite harsh critique

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    I kind of disagree here. I could see male image shot with with soft focus for a few reasons in general - romanticized image (like you know.. knight in shiny armour or bridal stuff or something like that) or to soften perception in general (ok, may be a bit less pronounced softness) when shooting someone like grandfather and you trying to add this nice warmth-ish glow to image... But other than this, agreed, normally males arent good subjects for SF lenses.. We like to be rough and strong..

But it works as experiment, and not a bad one IMHO, overwise if we take away freedom to display experimental images - quite many photos in displayed threads would be subject to quite harsh critique

Sergei,

I'm not criticizing anyone, just suggesting the decision might be more circumstantial than artistic, ie, "I want to shoot with my SF lens, and the only subject readily available is my friend, this old truck grill", etc. These SF lenses are clearly fetishes for many here who use them. I'm not making a value judgment, just suggesting you might be using a different criteria in your viewing than was used in the making.

I think I might be pro-experimentation to a fault, and have no desire to inhibit the presentation of experimental works in any way, but just the opposite!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    I suspect these guys just like shooting with their SF lenses, without much thought to subject, or it seems so to me, and that's not meant as a criticism, just an observation that might not be accurate.
    Without much thought to subject?! A nice hard backlight, grey allmost white hair and a man who's just retired and complaining about his wrinkles... heck, they designed the damn thing for this situation kidding aside, perhaps I should have used the 5.8 disc to make it a bit sharper but I wanted to try how soft it really is without any of the discs
    Here is version with a sharper lens but a bit underexposed I'm afraid. I tend to like the soft version more... or do I...?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by D-tach View Post
    Without much thought to subject?! A nice hard backlight, grey allmost white hair and a man who's just retired and complaining about his wrinkles... heck, they designed the damn thing for this situation kidding aside, perhaps I should have used the 5.8 disc to make it a bit sharper but I wanted to try how soft it really is without any of the discs
    Here is version with a sharper lens but a bit underexposed I'm afraid. I tend to like the soft version more... or do I...?

Tom
    I meant no offense, Tom, and was commenting more generally about the SF work posted here. FWIW, I prefer this one.