Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monterey area in late Feb

Monterey area in late Feb

I'll be going to one of John Sexton's printing workshops (in Carmel Valley) in late February and was thinking of staying a few (up to 5) extra days afterwards to bum around and take photos. Is it going to be worth it at that time of the year, weather-wise? I don't mind cloudy weather or cold, but constant rain would be kind of a downer. What are some good places/areas to concentrate on? I'd like to keep within about half a day's drive of Monterey, if possible. I've never been to California except for backpacking in the Sierras twenty years ago. I would likely stick to landscapes, but I also like decaying industrial sites or interesting architecture if there is anything lke that around. I'll only be doing B&W, if that matters.

Thanks!

Tom,

I can't say how rainy it will be in February, but the weather is usually quite nice on the coast that time of year with plenty of sunshine and green hills.---Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

As John said, the weather in the Monterey area is usually pretty nice, comparitively speaking, but changeable. Having another person to hold one of those big golf umbrellas in case of rain would be nice. A member of the Swedish Bikini Team as your umbrella holder would be great, but they're tough to hire. ;-)

If you do a little research on the web beforehand, you'll be well-served. Obvious spots to shoot include Point Lobos (just south of Carmel), the Carmel Mission, and the coast south of Carmel to Big Sur. Several other Missions are not too far from Monterey, as well, and the coast north of Santa Cruz (across the bay from Monterey) is interesting, as well.

Big Sur (1/2 hour S of Carmel on Rte 1) and Hearst Castle (maybe 1-1 1/2 h S on Rte 1) are also interesting, although there are some restrictions at Hearst which in practice preclude LF photography. Thus you need to visit w/ a group, and they are not going to wait for you to set up your camera. I don't know where can you find decaying industrial sites, but would also be interested to find out.

wfwhitaker

Bring lots of film.

There are lots of old California Missions to photograph as well as redwood forests above Santa Cruz. There is the old refractory north of Monterey too for your old decaying industrial site. Then there is all of San Fransisco Bay area which is just north of Monterey. There are miles of shoreline and rolling hills around Monterey. Don't miss Carmel with it's galleries and if you ask John, he will guise you to more interesting photographic areas than any of us can.

FWIW, I always though the waterfront at Moss Landing is an interesting area. Don't miss out on the local wineries or the French Toast at Em-Lee's in Carmel! If you do head South on Hwy 1, try the onion rings at The Custom House in Avila Beach, Cappuccino at Ragged Point, and The Smokehouse right by the Cayucos Pier(I'm getting hungry!) Moonstone Beach in Cambria is quite nice at low tide---there are trails that let you get right up to the rocks, waves, and seals if thats what rocks your boat. A tourist map that shows all the points of interest along the Big Sur coastline is a good investment.---Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks folks for the ideas. I guess my main purpose was to try to figure out how many vacation days I should commit so I could buy plane tickets. I guess it's obvious I won't get bored within the time available.

One question: I remember a previous post here where someone mentioned that Point Lobos was more restricted now (and seems to be confirmed by the Park web site) and being off-trail is strongly discouraged. Is that going to be a barrier to photography? Or, are they less apt to pay attention to off-trailing in Feb as opposed to high tourist season (whenever that is)?

Also, though I doubt I'll run out of film, are there sheet film (TMX or Tri-X) retailers in the immediate Monterey/Carmel area, just in case?

Thanks

Sexton will take you on a 1 day trip to Point Lobos. The shots are mostly near the water, so the restricitons on walking all over will be pretty much a no issue.

In the area, go to the Carmel Mission. They allow photography of all types. Charge to get in is $5 or so, and a real bargain. It is just north of Point Lobos...

The coast is spectacular, and just soouth of POint Lobos at Garapata Beach is some winderful shooting. Bixby Bridge is a great spot from the north of the bridge with fog. No fog? Don;t go. The bridge is the first bridge south of Carmel on Hwy 1.

The are that Sexton lives is basically a Oak forest. You can shoot there till you drop and never be bored. The road leading to Carmel Valley from Hwy 101 is a wonderful road, and certainly deserves a few sheets of film.

Enjoy..

Tom,

I could be wrong, but I think the restrictions at Pt. Lobos and other areas along the coast pertain to nesting and/or mating seasons of the Elephant Seals and some species of shorebirds. I'm not sure exactly when those times are though-----Good Luck!