Thread: Jobo 1520 tank with xtol

Jobo 1520 tank with xtol

I use one of these tanks with my jobo cpp-2. The minimum amount of solution is 240ml. Also, I understood that with xtol, one needs at least 100ml stock solution per 35mm film.

Does that mean that if I develop two films at once, I can only use 240ml of stock solution, or, iow no dilution possible, or do other "rules" apply when developing more films at once?

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Re: Jobo 1520 tank with xtol

Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    I use one of these tanks with my jobo cpp-2. The minimum amount of solution is 240ml. Also, I understood that with xtol, one needs at least 100ml stock solution per 35mm film.

Does that mean that if I develop two films at once, I can only use 240ml of stock solution, or, iow no dilution possible, or do other "rules" apply when developing more films at once?

Thanks,
    Stefan.
    If you are using the Xtol solution undiluted, technically, 240ml will be enough but I am always inclined to use a little more (300ml) to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Samson View Post
    If you are using the Xtol solution undiluted, technically, 240ml will be enough but I am always inclined to use a little more (300ml) to be safe.
    But could I use e.g. 150ml xtol and 150ml water when developping two films?

Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    But could I use e.g. 150ml xtol and 150ml water when developping two films?
    Maybe, but you'd be short of Kodak's recommended minimum of 100ml/roll. If you want to develop two rolls in 1+1 dilution, you should use 200ml stock and 200ml water, or 400ml total. It's definitely ok to exceed Jobo's minimum solution volume recommendation, or Kodak's minimum stock solution recommendation -- it gets risky when you use less than the minimums.

Jay is correct, the minimums should be adhered to in both cases, I tell many folks though that you can break up a larger solution mix requirement as two separate timed steps equal to the overall desired time and overall solution requirement as long as the minimum coverage is "always" met.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    Maybe, but you'd be short of Kodak's recommended minimum of 100ml/roll. If you want to develop two rolls in 1+1 dilution, you should use 200ml stock and 200ml water, or 400ml total. It's definitely ok to exceed Jobo's minimum solution volume recommendation, or Kodak's minimum stock solution recommendation -- it gets risky when you use less than the minimums.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jay DeFehr View Post
    That's what I thought, but I can't use 400ml in that tank while rotary processing, can I? I suspect it would spill out, no?

Landscape Addict

Try it with 430ml of water in the tank and no film (have the reels in, and have the extra 30ml to compensate for no films.. if it doesnt spill out you're set.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Completely full with two reels the tank will take almost 700ml. If you are using the lid plugs you should not have back flow.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com