Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Flurolite enlarger - negative carrier?

Kodak Flurolite enlarger - negative carrier?

Perhaps the wrong place to ask, as the biggest this enlarger will handle is 6x9 medium format, but here goes.

I've been scanning my film for as long as I've been shooting - about five years now, but happened across a Kodak Flurolite for $5 at a flea market this past weekend. Works like a charm. Lights up, lens is clear, etc. But it's missing a negative carrier.

I'm likely just going to engineer my own solution, but was wonder if anyone here has had experience with this enlarger, and what the negative carrier might have looked like. The thing is ancient, and searching the internet turns up close to nothing about it.

Re: Kodak Flurolite enlarger - negative carrier?

Can you post a picture showing how it hold the negative carrier. Is it a slot? Does the head rest on the carrier? Is it spring loaded?

After work I can.

Presumably it's a circular carrier, as the entire head/bellows assembly is circular. The head hinges up and down and would sit on top of the carrier. No spring loading involved in the head mechanism.

I would guess it would be similar to this:

Here are pictures of the enlarger with its negative carrier. May be enough detail in here to help you re-create it. Note there appears to be a white-painted side that faces up. In that shot the negative is correctly emulsion-down (majority of girl's hair is on her left in the final print). In the upper right shot, the emulsion is also down but that is a mistake, the emulsion is supposed to be up when you put the negative into the upside-down negative carrier.

From the Kodak Data Book, Enlarging with Kodak Materials and Equipment 1955...

I believe there was also an eastern European enlarger based on the Flurolite; maybe the parts are interchangeable.
    A more knowledgeable member might chime in with this information.

I'm glad to see his tie tucked in so it doesn't get in the developer.

what is the diameter do you thank it is ??
    a DeJur has a outer diameter of 5 3/4" setting diameter 4 1/16"
    a Beseler 23C has a outer diameter of 6 3/8" setting diameter 4 3/4"

Now I have a DeJur negative carrier that a 38mm x 60mm opening

DeJur Negative Carrier 2.25x2.25" 6x6 55x55mm Opening
    ebad Item: 260928221984

now the older Omega B
    OMEGA B-8 2 1/4" X 3 1/4" ROLL FILM NEGATIVE CARRIER WITH GLASS
    ebad Item: 180756528208
    you mite ask what its diameter is

I have a Kodak Hobbiest enlarger with a flourescent head that looks somewhat like the Flourite. The 35mm carrier with it has a diameter of 6 inches with slightly raised circles on both the top and bottom half of the carrier that fit into groves in the lamp housing and platform. Apparently there was once a holder for long lengths of film on each side of the carrier, but nothing remains except tiny screw holes. The top half of the carrier is painted white inside the raised ring. The two halves aren't hinged together: one lug on the top half and two lugs on the bottom half keep them more or less in alignment. I can post photos tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Here are pictures of the enlarger with its negative carrier. May be enough detail in here to help you re-create it. Note there appears to be a white-painted side that faces up. In that shot the negative is correctly emulsion-down (majority of girl's hair is on her left in the final print). In the upper right shot, the emulsion is also down but that is a mistake, the emulsion is supposed to be up when you put the negative into the upside-down negative carrier.

From the Kodak Data Book, Enlarging with Kodak Materials and Equipment 1955...

This is most excellent. Did you scan this yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I have a Kodak Hobbiest enlarger with a flourescent head that looks somewhat like the Flourite. The 35mm carrier with it has a diameter of 6 inches with slightly raised circles on both the top and bottom half of the carrier that fit into groves in the lamp housing and platform. Apparently there was once a holder for long lengths of film on each side of the carrier, but nothing remains except tiny screw holes. The top half of the carrier is painted white inside the raised ring. The two halves aren't hinged together: one lug on the top half and two lugs on the bottom half keep them more or less in alignment. I can post photos tomorrow.
    It's my understanding that the Hobbiest and the Flurite were the same head on different hardware, so I'm thinking a couple of good shots of your negative carrier would show me exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks so much!

The two halves of the negative holder are stamped out of 1/16 inch aluminum. This thickness should not be critical. They are painted matte black except for the white center on the upper surface of the upper plate and the area that contacts the 35mm film strip of both plates. That has a glossy finish. Four pins rivited into the bottom plate guide the film and engage in holes in the upper plate to maintain alighnemt. The opening in the upper plate is slightly larger than the 24x35mm opening in the bottom plate to prevent vignetting. All surfaces except the film path and white painted upper surface have a lightly embossed grid. The raised circular ridge in both top and bottom plate is a light trap to prevent stray light from leaving the enlarger. In an improvised negative carrier, flock paper or thin velvet applied to the area outside of the white painted circle should do as well.