Thread: V500 scans

V500 scans

Recently acquired an Epson V500 for scanning film. When scanning b/w negatives I'm finding there is no way to get just a straight-line scan, i.e., a straight line from darkest to lightest tone in the negative. The film already has a response curve typical for that particular product, and I just want to be able to transfer that curve into Photoshop without any additional modification. I use the Epson software in Pro Mode, and I've tried manipulating the various controls but I'm unable to find a way to get this straight-line scan. Any suggestions welcome, including buying a different software. My old Microtek would do a straight-line scan of anything, but it would not accommodate 120 negatives.

Thanks in advance,
    BAB

Re: V500 scans

I had the same problem on contrasty negatives. Seems to do well on color negatives. I bought a v750 Epson and the problem was solved. I bet there is a light tube not working to give maximum light output. just guessing.... I bet they had a few problems like that. The v600 went to LED for the transparency illumination. I am thinking of buying a v600 to test it out on my 35mm .... Anyway make sure the tubes in the top of the scanner are all working....

Hit the 'reset' button after the preview scan.

That will clear any processing that EpsonScan wants to do.

Thanks to both. I suspect a 700 or 750 to be an item in the near future as I'm also doing some 4x5. The reset button helps a lot, thanks. BAB

If you have the shekels a v750 has more features and software that you would use. The way i look at it is; I will be scanning all of my photo assets on my V750. I want the best job the current technology i can afford for my photos....

Since I just decided to do more 4x5 work I'll probably be in the market for a V700/750 in the near future. There is also a similarly-priced Microtek scanner that has glassless scanning of negatives and an auto-focus scan head: http://store2.microtek.com/shop/prod...products_id=98. Worth looking into.

Is there really any significant difference between the V700 and V750?

BAB

Quote Originally Posted by photobymike View Post
    If you have the shekels a v750 has more features and software that you would use. The way i look at it is; I will be scanning all of my photo assets on my V750. I want the best job the current technology i can afford for my photos....

I would go for an Epson product over a Microtek product because Epson seems more stable. The v700 is a better value compared to a V750. The main difference is the amount of accessories but things like Silversfast can be upgraded for less total investment if that is all you want. I have not seen a well designed and executed test that reveals superior scans from the 750 over the 700.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Thanks, Doug. That's another vote for Epson. The Microtek I've used for years still works fine, but is currently claimed by my wife . I suspect opinions on Epson vs Microtek vary depending on experience, because I've heard the same thing from the Microtek side concerning Epson's products. However, given I've only used the Epson for a few weeks, I'll keep your recommendation in mind. I do like the Epson's operation, and the V700 has been the prime photo scanner for several years.

Thanks again,
    BAB

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    I would go for an Epson product over a Microtek product because Epson seems more stable. The v700 is a better value compared to a V750. The main difference is the amount of accessories but things like Silversfast can be upgraded for less total investment if that is all you want. I have not seen a well designed and executed test that reveals superior scans from the 750 over the 700.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com

Doug... there is a hardware difference between the 700 and 750... i think it is a coating on the lenses ... well i have had both and would not give up my v750 .. i like the quality at 12800 dpi...

Yes, you are correct, but like I said, I have yet to see a valid test that shows an improvement in scans so that is why I think the V700 is the better buy.

Doug
    ---
    www.BetterScanning.com