Thread: Sinar questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sinar questions

Recently acquired a Sinar F+ (a shiny metal F1), and although the basic operation is more than intuitive, I have a few questions about some details.

1.) I understand the depth of field calculator. (Which is a moveable wheel around the geared focus adjustment on the right side of the rear standard. Stated here because there seems to be more than one version of this analog calculator.) But what are the degree marks for on that same fine focus adjustment? I mean the degree marks from -20 to +10.

2.) On the lower left of the front standard there is a small octagonal hole tapped by a threaded set screw. The screw has a thumb wheel for easy access. What's this for?

3.) Which of the controls on the Sinar F series is the plastic piece that many complain is too easily broken?

I've written Sinar for user manual, but I want to use the camera asap, hence the questions.

Thanks in advance, BAB

Re: Sinar questions

Quote Originally Posted by BABartrug View Post
    Recently acquired a Sinar F+ (a shiny metal F1), and although the basic operation is more than intuitive, I have a few questions about some details.

1.) I understand the depth of field calculator. (Which is a moveable wheel around the geared focus adjustment on the right side of the rear standard. Stated here because there seems to be more than one version of this analog calculator.) But what are the degree marks for on that same fine focus adjustment? I mean the degree marks from -20 to +10.

2.) On the lower left of the front standard there is a small octagonal hole tapped by a threaded set screw. The screw has a thumb wheel for easy access. What's this for?

3.) Which of the controls on the Sinar F series is the plastic piece that many complain is too easily broken?
    1. The tilt scale is used to set tilts to adjust the plane of sharp focus. You focus your desired plane of focus on the upper line on the ground glass, zero the scale, focus on the desired plane of focus on the lower line, and then read off the tilt angle. It's a similar process to the depth of field scale, where you focus on the far object, zero the depth of field scale, focus on the near object, and then read off the needed f-stop from the scale.

2. You can insert a hexagonal rod, and then slip a couple of plastic clips over that rod that will hold a standard Sinar bellows to use as a compendium shade. You can also slide the Sinar polarizer filter holder over that rod The holder rotates 180 degrees for viewing, which provides the same visual effect, to adjust the position of the polarizer; the holder will accept 105mm screw-in filters, too. Rods came in different lengths. They even had a rod with a ball-jointed center piece (called, of course, the jointed rod) that allows you to move the front of the compendium shade to track movements. A 4" rod, bellows clips, and a spare set of bellows are very nice and inexpensive goodies to add to your kit to use as a compendium shade.

3. The front standard includes a linkage that wraps around the underside of the rail. That linkage clips into the standard on the other side, and includes the thumbscrew that tightens the standard onto the rail. The advantage to this arrangement is that the standard can be installed on a rail between two other standards without removing either one, which is nice for knitting two sets of bellows together to focus a really, really long lens. After all, the front standard of an F is the "multipurpose" standard. But the hook that linkage clips into is plastic. If you tighten the standard down to the rail too tightly, that hook will eventually break.

I'll save Sinar the trouble of sending you a manual: http://di.hexagram.ca/files/manuals/...tionmanual.pdf

Rick "have fun" Denney

Thanks much, Rick. I am having fun. BAB

Also, checking the front standard it appears that all the parts are metal on the device that attaches the standard to the rail. It's a F1 standard (no geared focus) but perhaps the base was changed out by the previous owner? At any rate, it works fine and shouldn't be any problem.

bab

Quote Originally Posted by BABartrug View Post
    Also, checking the front standard it appears that all the parts are metal on the device that attaches the standard to the rail. It's a F1 standard (no geared focus) but perhaps the base was changed out by the previous owner? At any rate, it works fine and shouldn't be any problem.
    Those parts are metal, but what they hook over is plastic. Reasonable care will prevent any problems.

Rick "looking at one" Denney