Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: “There’s no shot around here – time to head home.”

Re: “There’s no shot around here – time to head home.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    ...Isn't it nice to see that Cambo?
    Oooooh, "a 20 year old analog camera"! However do you make pictures with such technologically inferior equipment?!?

There are lots of good replies here. A simple quetion but one not easy to answer.

For me, there are spots I visit several times a year and have many good pictures from them. The pictures just keep on coming.
    I take others to the same locations and they hate it - can't see a picture anywhere.

With some people, I have restricted them to an area for a few hours and just chatted to them in a relaxed way about what is there. Once they saw one picture, they saw another, and so on.

You've just had an arguement with the wife/girlfriend/boyfriend (or all three) and you go out with the camera. How do the images flow after such an event - compared to say, winning some money on a lottery?

If it is one of those days when nothing seems to pop out then, so be it. Nothing ventured, nothing sprained and all that. Learning to fail and learning from failure (if you see it as failure) is part of the learning process for just about everyone. Maybe it's fear of failure that stiffles.

I know that great light and a great subjects have a good chance of creating great images, but often, the days when others don't go and I do are the ones where I learn most.

For the best shot i ever took i waited two years for the clouds and sun to be in the right position. It was of a wooden friendship sloop and it took me 45 minutes to drive to the shot. My biggest fear was the owners may have gone for a sail that day. Knowing what you want plus knowing how to process plus developing your craft plus thinking visually is not a matter of fault its a matter of skill patience, craft and sometimes luck-The boat was there!
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Cool Re: “There’s no shot around here – time to head home.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    OK, so you're home because you didn't find anything, or let's say you can't go outside because of the weather. It's the Apocalypse, it's too windy, the risen dead will gnaw on the Tri-X and Velvia and bump the tripod, blah blah blah. You decide to stay home. You look around, and you have a flash handy and the electrical power is still on. What to do?

Jack Long decided to play with water in the tub. Splish splash, his photographs don't take a bath! I think I can guess how he constructed some of the shots, and the reflections show where he placed the lights and camera.
    Thanks I have neither the environment or the legs to climb mountains anymore so I create my own vistas at home.
    jacklongphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by ki6mf View Post
    For the best shot i ever took i waited two years for the clouds and sun to be in the right position. It was of a wooden friendship sloop and it took me 45 minutes to drive to the shot. My biggest fear was the owners may have gone for a sail that day. Knowing what you want plus knowing how to process plus developing your craft plus thinking visually is not a matter of fault its a matter of skill patience, craft and sometimes luck-The boat was there!
    WOW! I had a rather lame apprenticeship as a boatbuilder working on a Friendship Sloop! The best part of the experience was getting to visit Mystic Seaport and spending the afternoon photographing measurements aboard the Estella A. They certainly are beautiful boats!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White