Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Best" Lens - 203 Ektar, 210 Symmar, 8" Dallmyer Pentac

"Best" Lens - 203 Ektar, 210 Symmar, 8" Dallmyer Pentac

Hi and thanks for all the help so far.
    This is a bit of a subjective question, but I have the oppertunity to purchase one of these lenses to shoot art nude images. Does anyone have first hand experience using these lenses; 203mm f7.7 Ektar, the convertable 210 f5.6 Symmar, or possibly the 8" f2.9 Dallmyer Pentac ex-Air Ministry lens. Just looking for some hints and tips, I've got a Speed graphic with the focal plane shutter so the barrel mount of the Pentac is not a problem, I also have an MPP MK7 so it has a fair bit of bellows extension avaliable, but not quite enough for the converted symmar (370mm?). Any hints or tips would be appreciated, bear in mind that its out of this trio I have the chance to buy.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: "Best" Lens - 203 Ektar, 210 Symmar, 8" Dallmyer Pentac

The Symmar is probably the sharpest of the three, but the Pentac can go way-fast with way-shallow depth of field. If uncoated, it may be a bit soft in contrast, but that can be compenseted for in processing, if you so desire. The Kodak 203mm would be my last choice, but still probably not a horrible lens.

I'd personally go with the Pentac, but that's just me. It all depends on your vision for your images, but you knew that.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Cheers Mark, so far that's the way I'm thinking too. Hoping the auction will go largely un-noticed and I'll be able to get the Pentac for £50 or less, already in the midst of storyboarding some image concepts. Finding the pressure of having an exhibition coming up at the Pittenweem Art Fair inspiring, and I want to add some traditional darkroom prints to it.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Good luck with trhe auction. Pentac's are becoming a bit of a cult lens, as an alternative to the Aero Ektar, so if it's well-listed on a big auction site, I wouldn't count on it. If it's at a small auction, go for it!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I do have a larger budget avaliable, but If I can luck out and get the Pentac cheap-ish, I should have enough for the Symmar. Best of both worlds, Fingers crossed. . .

Get the 203

If it's the Pentac I'm thinking of I'd only buy it if the price stayed quite low as it's not in the best condition.

I use both a Symmar 210 (although a later MC version) and also a 203mm f7.7 Ektar and they are both excellent lenses, but a Symmar in a modern Copal or late Synchro Compur is much faster to use. The 203mm Ektars (British made) are usually in an Epsilon or Prontor SVS shutter with no preview lever but they are Copal/Compur #0 fit so could be put in a more modern shutter.

Best of both worlds is a Symmar and the Pentac if cheap as you say.

Ian

I have a 210 Symmar convertible, and use it on my 5x7 view camera, and also sometimes on my 4x5 Calumet. My 5x7 doesn't have a long enough bellows to use the conversion, so it mainly is used as a 210mm. I have made 20x24 inch enlargements from those negatives that are very sharp. I wouldn't part with this lens for anything. I also have the 8" Pentac, and use it on one of my Speed Graphics. At most distances the narrow depth of focus tends to give a strange look to photos. There's no question in my mind, the 210 Symmar is by far the most practical and useful of those two lenses.

(Shrek)

There are a lot of bad 8" Pentacs out there. I have one sitting on a shelf beside me. Still, for what you're doing, it might be ideal. My convertible Symmar was good, though I didn't have the bellows to use it at 370, at the time. I haven't tried my 203 Ektar yet.

The 203 Ektar is probably too sharp and contrasty for portraiture, unless you really like to see the nitty gritty details;-)